Indoor Music Venues and Clubs

Does anyone know if Raleigh has any music list / site resembling nyc noise?

nyc noise is an experimental/avant-xx music calendar (not just noise music!) featuring a wide range of genres, for whatever “genre” is worth to you: free & capital-J jazz, noise, contemporary classical, “electronic,” all things improvised, ambient, post-[whatever], glitchy techno, avant-metal, trashy art rock, performance pieces

The closest I’ve found is CVNC, which is usually a lot less experimental. If this even exists in Raleigh I’m guessing it’s pretty small.

1 Like

Just got word from a reliable source (as in; the new talent buyer there) that Transfer Co. Ballroom is building out a permanent stage and sound setup and will be booking national and regional acts Thursdays-Sundays starting with Hopscotch/IBMA in September, then will just act as a new music venue going forward. HUGE, HUGE NEWS!!!

38 Likes

Also, don’t know what this means, but Kings is listed as a hopscotch day party venue, so maybe it’s back?

1 Like

I saw that too. Probably just for Hopscotch tbh.

7 Likes

We went to Garland last Thursday and our server mentioned that… he seemed to indicate that it was just for Hopscotch and not a permanent reopening.

1 Like

Damn, that’s upsetting.

Finally, some good news. Thank you Jake

Indoor?

Characters…

That is awesome news! Is this in their event space or indoor/outdoor? Or in place of the “coming soon” Sax General Store?

Indoor, where their ballroom/conference room is currently.

1 Like

Gonna make you even happier; they’ll be booking indoor shows in the ballroom (250 cap, which is right around Kings’ capacity FYI, with a new permanent stage and sound setup) AND outdoor shows on the back patio (400 cap).

15 Likes

Nothing to do with the “Coming Soon” Sax General haha - hoping that is still coming … some day??? hahaha

5 Likes

This is the best Raleigh news of the last 3 months in my opinion. :heart_eyes::grin::heart_eyes::grin::heart_eyes::grin::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

100% in agreement, there. I’ve been saying that Ballroom space has been underutilized. So glad to hear they’re upgrading it to a proper venue space.

2 Likes

Grumpy cat time.

Never liked Hopscotch. Not the music nor the “scene”, which is subjective. But I also always found it kind of ridiculous to charge triple digit ticket prices for an “event” that operates at different venues with different occupancy caps. I got a free wristband one year, but after seeing the lines at all the different venues, gave it to a stranger.

Now that they are operating out of random warehouses, garages, and retail spaces, it’s an extra big nope for me.

This highlights the importance of lifting up the Lincoln Theater and Pour House. Even though the Lincoln needs renovation and better booking, it’s important that they are successful and don’t sell out to a developer, IMO.

8 Likes

I’ll be out of town at the beach intentionally because of this, but I decided to look at the General admission ticket price this year…I almost didn’t believe it so I added a screenshot. CHEESE AND RICE

I’ve never heard of any of the bands in the 13 years I’ve been here. I thought it would be like a music festival where I knew at least 1/3 of them, but nope. I’m happy it happens each year and people have fun, but I gave up on caring about it for myself long ago.

sounds like a you problem - there were huge names in every lineup that both young and old would’ve known, starting from their very first fest. You’ve never heard of: Public Enemy? The Roots? The Flaming Lips? Run the Jewels? Sleater Kinney? Erykah Badu? Just to name a few. I appreciated that Hopscotch never became a typical/boring Coachella or Bonnarroo type fest with all these huge pop acts that play every festival lineup that year.

12 Likes

This is absurd. You can go to an actual music festival with actual acts you recognize for this price.

3 Likes

It’s definitely a me problem. I’m explaining why I lost interest. Admittedly I stopped checking the lineup awhile back. I’ve heard of most of those bands you just named, but only know songs by Flaming Lips and Sleater Kinney (and have seen both live). Were those recent though?