Indoor Music Venues and Clubs

Sleater Kinney played the last “proper” Hopscotch in 2019 lmao. And even last year the lineup, albeit smaller, had some killer well-known acts like Flying Lotus, Animal Collective (not my favorite though, personally) and Dr. Dog.

2 Likes

Well that’s neat then. I obviously didn’t internalize that. Also, please consider that I’m old and 2005 was like 5 years ago in my head. I don’t know a lot of the newer bands, and that’s on me, and I certainly don’t know all the small bands. I don’t know where I was even going with this, so I’ll stop. I guess my point was if we got something that had a dozen bands I liked, I’d be happy to go, but it’s kind of a nothingburger for me, especially at the price point and numerous venues.

I had a bit of sticker shock, too, but I’m going to defend it a little.

Can you imagine the logistics and planning involved for a festival like this with so many bands and venues? I have no doubt that this event probably takes a lot more work to produce than a festival set up in a big park with two or three stages.

3 Likes

Oh I’m with you that this year’s lineup is nowhere near the $200+ price. Those past lineups? Absolutely. But they’re crazy charging the same price for essentially half a fest.

You are definitely 100% right. And the rumor I’ve been told is that etix basically stalled on greenlighting this year’s fest until barely 2-3 months prior to when it’d be held… so the amount they were able to do in such a short amount of time is pretty admirable. But the issue is that they’re still charging the same price as the past years’ lineups… but with less than half the lineup.

1 Like

I agree there is definitely a lot of coordination that needs to happen for this to go as planned. But I wonder if it would be more lucrative to charge by the event. For instance the Fayetteville St area locations are X amount and several of the smaller venues are Y amount. It wouldn’t scare people off who wanted to attend but didn’t want to spend $207 on 1 ticket that encompasses the whole weekend, for people who could only attend Saturday or Sunday.

The once or twice I’ve been I kind of saw it as a way to get to know some local bands I didn’t know, but granted it’s kind of an expensive way to go about it.

1 Like

Back in my day at NC State we had 88.1 do that for us :wink:

5 Likes

Most if not all of the day parties, that often have smaller and/or local bands, are free. They’re usually at the smaller venues (Pour House, Slims, etc.) I’ve volunteered several years in a row now (after paying to go to the 1st and 2cnd editions years ago) and it’s a great way to work one 5 hour shift and get a free wristband for the whole weekend. Met Dr. Dog last year while working their gate. The volunteer coordinator said a few days ago that they still have volunteer spots open, so if you’re interested - hopscotchvolunteers@gmail.com

4 Likes

They do this this for the headliners at City Plaza. I’ve actually never been able to go for a full day or weekend, but I almost always catch the main stage performers and hit up some of the free day parties.

1 Like

This killed it for me. I have been going for 5+ years, love the event, love popping around to all the venues, seeing my city flush with live music at every turn, seeing music I haven’t heard of, if I don’t care for it, it’s a short “hop” (right?) over to the next venue to see what’s up. Always been a highlight of the year for me. This year there was no date announced until 2 months out and I am otherwise booked. Huge bummer. Hope it keeps going and comes back stronger next year.

6 Likes

They have had day passes in the past to meet that very situation.

1 Like

I always felt that it was purposely bands I was unfamiliar with so I could hop around to different venues and check out music I would never hear otherwise. Plus it’s just fun to see downtown so alive with live music. I hope they can continue and expand!

9 Likes

They have day passes ($79-$89, depending on day, before fees), and they even have single show tickets for City Plaza and More Square shows ($39-$49 before fees). A three-day pass is not required. Plus, I think day parties are free.

And for those unfamiliar with most of the bands (like I am because I’m, ahem, over 40), there’s a few public Hopscotch 2022 Spotify playlists that can help you get a taste. Gotta say I’m more interested in attending now after checking out a playlist.

Hopscotch 2022 playlist

12 Likes

That’s a great idea for us oldies, especially @GucciLittlePig that doesn’t recognize any bands (same here, btw). Will check it out! Thanks, @Deb!

4 Likes

Damn ya’ll are old! I’m 52 and recognize two of the headliners - Kim Gordon and Charley Crockett. Of course Kim is a good bit older than me. I heard Charley on That Station and was an immediate fan.

3 Likes

Raleigh, rejoice! THE GREAT COVER-UP AT KINGS IS RETURNING! Jan 27th-28th, and Feb 10-11th. One of our longest running and most beloved local events, at one of our most beloved local music venues, will ride again in 2023. 4 nights (more if they get overwhelming responses from local musicians) of secret cover band sets, each night sure to be a full house with a line down the block, and surprises throughout. I will for sure be closing out the whole shebang on the 11th, possibly may be joining another group on drums for a different night. Cannot wait!!!

19 Likes

Only been to this once. But got to see an Avril Lavigne cover band and it was awesome.

1 Like

It’s just the most fun event. Highly recommend you go to as many as you can this time around - no guarantee it will return again!

We’ll totally go to this. That sounds awesome! Haven’t been before either.

3 Likes