ITB New Home Builds

Really appreciate you taking the time to do these overviews! Discouraging to hear how little densifying is actually going on.

5 Likes

Glad you picked these, I don’t live far from all of them and walk by them often. The 4 plex on Lenoir actually went under contract on April 29th at 500k.

The individuals I saw walking around and assessing the property today didn’t appear to be previous tenants. Who knows what’s in store for this property, but my guess would be 4 townhomes with rooftop patios, to maximize return on investment. A home rehab company from VA purchased the grey SFH two doors facing left of this 4 plex, but nothing has changed since they closed in March.
The strange road in front of this property Davy Ln. does service the apartment units on State St. But also provides rear access to homes on Church St. and becomes gravel after 100 yards.

1 Like

Thanks! Glad to know some people like them.

1 Like

Will definitely be interesting to see how those end up. 4plex’s fascinate me. They are so normal and kind of plain, but very rare so it makes them seem special.

1 Like

Last week I did a thread on the South Central CAC & the next day the @ NYT ran an article about that area. This week I am doing a thread on the Gleenwood CAC. Maybe a major paper can pick it up as well! Avg. 2018 new home in South Central was $438,000 in Glenwood it was $1,190,000

This CAC hugs the NW corner of ITB. with kind of east & west wings around Gleenwood Avenue. Apparently the Glenwood - I440 interchange is in there & just a little land on the other side of that. Glenwood CAC covers ~2,271 acres & the Carolina Country Club part of it.

The sections of Ridge Road that you may have heard about from “Save Ridge Road” is all in this CAC. https://abc11.com/traffic/raleigh-neighbors-fight-road-expansion-near-crabtree-valley-mall/3513327/ … You can see that Glenwood Ave is where flow through traffic goes, & Glen Eden & Ridge Rd are how the people who live here get around.

This is clearly the ITB CAC (most of Midtown is outside of ITB) that has the lowest density zoning. Vast majority cannot even have a duplex built. Some parts are 2 units/acre which is really low zoning. There is an small NCOD overlay in there and watersheds around the highway.

3 Likes

The average prices was a little under 1,200,000. I have a saved zillow search where I can pull up homes built in 2018 and “recently sold”. I pulled it up & saw one in there with $280,000. Maybe I missed one? So I click on it. Nope negative.

I found 25 new homes built in 2018. Of those 6 where infill, 18 instances of tearing down a Single Family Home & replacing with a bigger more expensive one. The one instance of tearing down a duplex & replacing with a big old SFH. So, a net 5 new places to own and live in 2018.

Check out that old Duplex. I don’t see pics of new SFH’s, but it looks like the duplex was torn down & then two new single family homes were built right next to each other. So maybe it was a new 6 homes! <-winning at losing. We need missing middle developers in this town.

Zillow’s algorithm will sometimes remove the pictures for a house after it sells. Maybe the database it pulls from removes them? Who knows. Here is what is left up for some of them. Jumped over to red fin & found some pics. Here are the infill ones, big houses coming Y’all…

2 Likes

Going through the Glenwood CAC in Zillow was a bit much. If income or wealth inequality upsets you please turn away now. Nothing but being upset will come from looking at this. Once again, not legal to build duplex’s or more than one unit homes in vast majority of this area.

Now some tear downs. They are like the infill but will make you more upset. The 5,150 sqft one is on a corner with a bus stop that gets you downtown in 28 minutes with less than 2 minutes of walking. Maybe we could do better there. just saying.

Here are some more. Looks like I missed this in my first run, but another duplex torn down & replaced with 2 SFH’s. You’r moving backwards Glenwood CAC! When you see a 3,400sqft one its like “finally someone reasonable!” kind of like how garage seems so small in the Churchill 1

Oh I forgot about this house. WTH, I am going to add it to the “Elitist 8” McMansion bracket competition that I am going to start when I finish going through all the CACs. Is this the Southwestern Frontier Fort Style? I guess barn doors kind of go with that. Belongs in a Western

I also dislike what this house is trying to do, & the fact that we didn’t just build a three unit building there.

Someone is trying to make this 5,000 Sqft one look bigger with this angle which is a little extra. Well Bless Your Heart to this “little” 2,800 sqft one. People would call it a McMansion in my neighborhood lol. The Lake Dr one is future haunted house., & wants to eat you.

I am going to switch things up & say that I like this one. I mean how can you not respect the ability to hide 6,000 sqft behind that curb appeal. This house is so rich it doesn’t give a crap that you know it. Great example of how you could hide a 6 unit building 😎 if it were 1

2 Likes

Someone on twitter had a funny response on this CAC.

“Oh but heavens no, there’s absolutely nothing exclusionary about Jesse Helms’ neighborhood! Golly, even the Country Club is integrated, as of THE YEAR OF OUR LORD TWO THOUSAND AND THIRTEEN”

which made me look up with Jessse Helms guy. Was not familiar.
Check this out on him. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wral.com/news/local/story/159645/%3fversion=amp … wonder if any of his properties where in South Park?

Pretty close. N&O 10/10/96 lists addresses on S Swain St and E Davie St (both could be near Chavis Hts), plus Dorothea Dr (Boylan Hts).

“You can’t do anything but call them slum landlords.” - neighbor on Dorothea, “who’s been active in closing down crack houses one block north”

S Swain resident said the house was a dilapidated mess and an illegal liquor house until about two years ago.

3 Likes

looking through data from Imaps & there is always something that sticks out as different. Data on condo’s & townhouses is funky so have to comb though it. All the townhouses are in groups of 30 or 40, but I saw a two unit town-house. Check out 3047 & 3045 Farrior Rd.

@ GoodWillHuntin Here are the lowest sales price homes for 2018. Are you in there? Wonder what the cheapest “not a tear down” one was.

The oldest house in Glenwood CAC is 3409 While Oak Rd. Oldest thing that is not a SFH where two duplexes in 1948. The duplex is not the big building in the pic of two buildings 🤣😅

Nope nope, mistake. Was filtered for sold in 2018. Oldest home is on St. Mary’s hard to see pic) & oldest non-SFH is on Ridge Rd. ← also the oldest building on Ridge Rd.

1 Like

Garden Apartments Are a pain to look up. Condo units get individual line items per unit. Four units or three units just x3 or x4. For GRDN APT have to look up address in imaps & get unit count. They end up being interesting though. Nothing like this 7 unit one is built nowadays

ELEV APT (What does that stand for?) Are even more of a pain. For example the Sterling Glenwood Apartments, aka the old Bacanna apartments. Don’t have a unit count in Imaps. Why is this? http://Apartments.com says they have 254 units.

Maybe some do have info and some do not.

Some actual numbers: There are 3,990 units with 66.92% SFH. 24% of the units are in big apartments buildings. 766 apartment units were added in 2016 & 2017 alone! I will give Glenwood credit for adding some real new unit density.

3 Likes

Places like Glenwood CAC are a text book example of the “missing” part of https://missingmiddlehousing.com/ . The plan there is to hold down density in SFH neighborhoods then funnel development toward major road or just out of the way. 92.8% of units are SFH or big apartment.

A side effect of this is that Glenwood CAC doesn’t feel walk able at all. You can go for a nice walk around your neighborhood, byt the vast majority of the CAC can’t walk to any real destination. The area around the Glenwood Harris Teeter is probably the only good area.

Areas like this breed the type of developers people don’t like 😂🤣. The only developers who can work here build McMansions or build huge Apartments. What would a developer like this → https://www.incrementaldevelopment.org/ do in Glenwood CAC?

2 Likes

There are two 4-plex’s in this CAC. I like this first one a lot. The second one is hard to see from the street view. Built in 1950 and 1953 respectively.

There is only one 3 plex in this CAC. That makes 6 buildings with 3-20 units in the whole CAC.

Something that you hear is that there used to be smaller affordable homes & these new big ones are what is making the neighborhood expensive. So I looked at the average home sqft for each decade. Old Glenwood homes are 2x the 50s average size. Did not expect that.

3 Likes

Got a good reply on twitter about walkability in the CAC. There is a good area on the edge of the CAC.

“Not to reply to every tweet but my neighbors and I walk to Ridgewood shopping center all the time. Again, there’s only so many close enough to do it though.”

Reply away man! Feels like I am talking to myself sometimes, so appreciated. Is that the shopping center with Whole Foods?

"Yes! Also Walgreens, Snookers, Brueggers. Those are the things we walk to the most. There’s also a small retail center at the intersection of Dixie and Medlin that I think could turn into something really special "

Does this seem like a good depiction of what people might walk to? That intersection does look cool. I want to check out the Blind Barbour and Bar Raleigh. Funny how people either hate or love local small bars.

Also, anything about this CAC that I missed? Any insider knowledge from living there?

“You hit pretty much everything but I’ll add that the area around Whole Foods could really use some density. The Raleigh-RTC, CRX, DRX and GoRaleigh route 4 all pass right by there. Also, we’ve got the greenway which goes to Meredith, the Art museum or Crabtree Mall. I’ll reiterate that it annoys me we seem to be the only CAC zoned R-4.”

2 Likes

Yeah, this is where Stef Mendell lives, amiright? Any wonder???

1 Like

Just went on the market today for 1.29 Million. I’m very curious who purchases this, and what their long-term goals are for the property. Can’t imagine this being torn down, and the description doesn’t imply that at all.
“Own one of the best income generating properties in Raleigh! This property located by Ligon Middle School boasts rents from 4 - 4 bedroom apartments and 2 - 3 bedroom apartments. Two buildings located on two different lots. 718 and 720 S. State St. Gross rent potential $8,650/mos or $103,800/year - Currently fully leased. Units have been updated recently and are turned (cleaned/repaired) between tenants. Lots of interest already. Receiving offers NOW, Looking at all offers by 5/31/2019. Tenants in place showings will have to be scheduled well in advance and after providing listing agent with proof ability to purchase.”
718 S State St, Raleigh, NC 27601 | Zillow?

2 Likes

1.3 million for half an acre?! Sheesh

2 Likes

For compariaon’s sake the 16 acres that make up Caraleigh Commons on Maywood was purchased for $1.3 million a while back (although only 5 of thes 16 are developable)

1 Like

When I first came upon this place in Imaps I noticed that the owner address was the same as the location, so I was thinking it might be owner occupied. Good pay day for them, but it seems like a crazy high price.

On to 2018 new homes in Mordecai CAC. This CAC is the smallest in Raleigh with 590 acres holding 3360 people. ~1700 housing units with 1000 of those being rented. Raleigh overall is about 2units/acre, and Mordecai is 2.88. ← Seems more dense than that.

This CAC is home to William Peace University & Seaboard Station, Mordecai Historic Park, & “N. Person St”. One of the most popular walkable areas in town. The homes tend to be closer together (built before cars). They also have signs!

I already looked into the housing that exists in Mordecai CAC, so that is a good reference when looking at new housing. Here is a picture of the overall breakdown of housing type in the CAC. https://twitter.com/JWDemby/status/1129903489369411585 …

1 Like

So when I looked through zillow for 2018 sold I found 30 new homes(16 SFH & 14 TH). But then I estimated just 14 net new (7 TH & 7 SFH). These estimations are not 100% though because of one of the new home trends that makes me angry. 14 net new is actually high for ITB though 😥

More

Also checked out all homes sold in 2018 from https://maps.raleighnc.gov/iMAPS/ Single Family Home built 2018 most expensive & older are cheaper, but townhomes form 2018 average cheaper than SFH older than 2017 🤔. Doesn’t “prove” any side of housing arguments, but interesting.

So, those 30 “new” homes. There were zero pure infill homes in the CAC built and sold in 2018 from what I found. There were 1 for 1 tear down replaces. Courtland Dr became big & blue, & 613 Watauga St. became a Lima Bean of a house.

The other 28 homes are what I would call small/medium developments where multiple smaller homes or missing middle housing was replaced. Especially when I saw the new town-homes I though, “well this is better than SFH”. Then I saw what they replaced & thought, “Classic Raleigh”

But, they replaced an old Garden Apartment. ☹️. Seen in old map overview. I estimated that the townhomes were an increase of 7 units 2018. Overall old had ~28 & new has ~41 units. Certainly a little jump up, but by sqft you could put 60 of those smaller old units in the new 41

1 Like