John Chavis Memorial Park

I love that the timeline on the city’s website does not have an estimated completion date. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Before finding an eye roll detail, I went here to get a list of what is expected in phase 1.

• a new two-story community center with a full size indoor gym, elevated walking track, fitness center and numerous classroom and meeting spaces.
  • renovation to the original Carousel House will allow for interior event space, and exterior bathroom access.
  • a new central plaza with integrated water feature, and a large playground for all ages and abilities.

4 Likes

As far as the pool goes, that would be for future phases which have zero funding at this point. It’ll take a parks bond to get that into place and then who knows how long until they actually build it.

Keep going to Pullen, which is really a straight-shot from downtown through Boylan Heights by bicycle, a very nice ride. From Glenwood South, Pullen is even easier to get to. I could see a strong argument against a pool at Chavis.

Was riding my bike to the Pullen pool today after work. Didn’t make it and ended up on someone’s porch in Boylan because of that crazy storm.

3 Likes

That’s interesting. We just wrapped up renovations on that exact Ravenscroft building last week…and we weren’t working for JM Thompson. I guess he’s talking about the original renovation. That’s so random.

From Central CAC meeting:

• this Sat 9a, Guinness attempt at longest Soul Train line, Eventbrite.com
  • projects will kick off quickly
  • aquatic center and pool in phase 2
  • 8/21-30 tree/silt protection
  • 9/6 ground breaking
  • Completion spring 2021
  • My Raleigh Subscriptions - Chavis Memorial Park
6 Likes

My first year at State it was required for graduation ‘95 but it was no longer required in ‘97 if I remember correctly.

1 Like

When I used to lifeguard 8ish years ago we had rising freshmen from ECU come to our pool and swim ~100 yards. If they could do it non stop we signed a form saying they didn’t need to take a swimming class. I heard they don’t do that anymore and neither does State.

1 Like

I took the swim test at State back in the day. Frankly, everyone should be able to swim that short distance without dying. We also had that step test…up, up, down, down, up, up, down, down. After a short while, it was maddening.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Need to add this to my list of projects to keep up with from the sky. :airplane:

1 Like

Essentially the same shot as the Twitter link above.

I think I found a new money shot. :money_mouth_face:

25 Likes

Love it! Very underutilized shot and it might even be better than the current money shot.

4 Likes

I might have to agree, this is a great angle. I bet the area in the foreground of this shot (between downtown and John Chavis) will look very different in 5-10 years.

6 Likes

That’ll look even better in the late spring!

1 Like

So this is where the observation tower should go???
@OakCityDylan How high was the drone in this shot? Do you know?

7 Likes

Approximately 200’ AGL during those shots if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

Lurked around Chavis Park this weekend. Construction completion is Spring 2021, that should be a great addition. Under-hyped in my opinion.

https://dtraleigh.com/2020/03/a-walk-around-chavis-park/

18 Likes

After my post, someone shared this with me. Beautiful!

8 Likes

Do we know anything about the planned aquatic center? I just skimmed the master plan and didn’t see any specific info about which phase it was planned for. I saw mention of an outdoor pool and an aquatics center “building”, but not whether they plan to have an indoor pool or what kind either were. Will there be an indoor athletics pool and a morr recreational pool outdoors?

If the parks bond passes, does that mean the rest of Chavis Park’s phases are essentially funded?

1 Like