Lincoln Theater-Pope House block

Exactly! Without something like that, you’d continue to see almost half of downtown buildings devoted to parking. Or separate massive decks like Bloc83/Citrix. 11 floors of parking for 121 Fayetteville is wild!

4 Likes

Florence Italy has something like this in the form of a tram that runs thru the middle of the streets from parking lots on the outskirts of town. Super convenient to use and eliminates the need to have to try to brave parking in the city.

3 Likes

Venice’s Piazzale Roma is essentially a small version of this. It has a bus station as well as a ferry stop, parking, and is close to Venezia Sta. Lucia. It is also walkable to other parts of the islands.

2 Likes

This would also allow for “kiss & go” drop offs: regular working couples could actually think about owning just one car, or just taking one to work.

1 Like

I saw a dirt lot next to Boulted Bread was selling parking now too. I didn’t think anybody would use it, but maybe hearing all of this now, its a shrewd move.

They just cleared a small lot on South Person this week. It looks like it is becoming a parking lot as well

Between these lots and the two huge lots in front of the Duke Energy PAC are any of them for sale?

Ewww… It’s not even an improvement, suburban McDonald’s are double height of this. How is this moving forward without outrage?

2 Likes

Well, as a warning, I’ve been talking about the atrocity of McDonald’s on Peace Street for years now. Did anyone really expect the next one to be much of an improvement?
In the end, this one is land hold for the property owner, much like the surface parking lots are. The properties are being held while they generate revenue.

1 Like

McDonald’s just put up notice. Closing in April with reconstruction starting in May.

7 Likes

The word “reconstruction” sounds a lot like “demolition” if you dream hard enough.

9 Likes

OK. Let somebody just go ahead and buy the airspace over the top of Mickey D’s. Then we can cantilever over this atrocity as well as the Pope House.

Thinking of both of these properties when articles about ‘nail houses’ pop up into my feed…

4 Likes

It was so embarrassing watching Raleigh Major youtube videos and some of those gamers going to this rundown McDonald’s. At least this reno makes it look less bad.

1 Like

14 Likes

Not sure if its the run down mcdonalds or the tilted power poles that give it a certain type of ghetto ambience.

1 Like

These 2 blocks are what need to be drastically changed. Hopefully the CC projects can help boost some development here.

3 Likes

At least we’re getting a new McDonald’s! :partying_face:
:man_facepalming:

Will it look like the one on Peace Street? I don’t recall seeing anything, but I may have missed it.

Talking Heads tribute last night at Lincoln. Great times.

7 Likes

Most likely yes: an updated suburban model. :man_facepalming:t3: