Linear Parks & Underused Space

I’m not sure how I missed this video, but have recently found out about Atlanta’s beltline. I searched and found that it was discussed a bit on this site, but not too much. Realistically this is something that could be promoted and pushed in Raleigh as it is something that kind of exists already although there are improvements that need to be done. Since Atlanta’s won’t be done until 2030, Raleigh can definitely complete what we have and have something greater.

At what could be it’s biggest section, Raleigh does already have almost 47 miles of a completed loop. Sections do branch off that go into Cary/Umstead, Lake Johnson, and There are a lot of improvements needed as there are sections that are not connected and portions which aren’t exactly safe (such as the section that runs along Falls of Neuse Rd especially at Durant Rd).

Part of the problem I have with the big loop is that it is very nice, but it requires you to run long sections and doesn’t connect much within the loop. Luckily for us, the loop is broken into smaller sections. There are some improvements needed here as well, but it’s the bones of something that could be even greater.

On the south side, there is a connection however from the North side there is not. With the BRT line coming in, I believe there would be a separated multi-use path coming down New Bern which will grant access to downtown from the East Side.

There’s a lot of improvements/suggestions I would make, but from my own personal standpoint, I would love a multi-use pathway along Lake Boone Trail that connects to the greenway. I don’t really care for riding on the sharrow lanes with the speed of traffic. I’ve done it a few times but when me and my significant other went, they weren’t as comfortable. The reason I mention this is to highlight the improvements that affect me directly. I’m sure others are affected differently.

Another issue is that the trail is dark at night which is not fun when the sun goes down earlier during the winter months. For many users that does limit the usage. I would also like to see different types of uses zoned along the greenway. Shelley Lake is a good attraction along the greenway, however a lack of restaurants, cafe’s, or similar is a miss here as I’m sure people would love to picnic or eat at this location. A lot of the area around the greenway is low density housing. Varying the type of zoning would help people use it for reasons other than leisure.

4 Likes