Longleaf Hotel (former Days Inn)

I thoroughly enjoy “iMAPS”. Great tool. :sunglasses:
I just wish there was a version for the entire state and not just Wake county…:disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Most counties have their own version of a GIS system like Wake’s iMAPS.

2 Likes

www.nconemap.com. Enjoy

2 Likes

So, I just read the tiny article on TBJ about the redevelopment of the hotel and this caught my eye:

Called the Longleaf Hotel, renovations at the building will pay homage to its mid-century modern design, according to Loden Properties.

So, maybe it is going to be a cool mid-century boutique hotel? :grin:

3 Likes

This reminds me of a similar hotel in Kinston that was recently renovated and converted into the “Mother Earth Motor Lodge.” It has a simple modern, mid-century design, and looks pretty good now.

5 Likes

Photos of the site from a recent walk.

8 Likes

Clearly the above ground electrical poles and lines were well thought out in DTR

6 Likes

@dtraleigh
Great photos, thank you! :blush:
Good opportunities, if only they could also include removing those “visual obstacles” in your first photo. I can’t really explain why, but dangling overhead wires are hideous in my opinion. But I am sure that the cost is prohibitively expensive…sigh. :confused:

1 Like

Seems like some sidewalks would be nice too.

2 Likes

I HATE how they look, but in my line of work (environmental geology) overhead utilities make my life much easier (and safer). However, in an urban setting… ALL utilities should be 100% underground.

4 Likes

Love the sarcasm! These poles need to go underground…at least some of them.

3 Likes

I just hadn’t heard any new news after the video of that uncomfortable meeting they had last year. (Sorry, I can’t recall the exact meeting- but the developer just looked really tired and defeated after the back and forth from the council.)

Has anyone seen any activity in the last month or so at the former Days Inn? Had dinner At Mulino Kitchen last night (yum) and didn’t look any different than it did a month ago (but it was dark). I suspect their 9 month schedule is in jeopardy.

1 Like

I’ll be walking by there later. I’ll take a look

1 Like

It looked like they removed a bunch of roofing and stuff from the sandwich shop and were doing a little work in the hotel too.

5 Likes

Thanks @GucciLittlePig. Doesn’t sound aggressive enough to meet their nine month schedule, but I’m just happy it’s still moving.

Or it could be a very low key remodel, which would be awful. Anyone seen building plans?

1 Like

Walked by there today. Looks like they’re tearing apart the exterior right now, including removal of the fake pediments(?) on the roof.

10 Likes

Yeah, went by yesterday as well. It doesn’t appear this is going to be the extensive gut job I was hoping for, but I’m still happy something happened.

What an amazing location. I really hope this ends up being an above average project otherwise it’s quite the waste.

9 Likes