Longleaf Hotel (former Days Inn)

Greenville has a Westin, but Raleigh doesn’t?? THE INJUSTICE!!!

3 Likes

that was exactly my initial reaction. WTH?? Greenville? SC?

1 Like

Makes no sense what so ever. Raleigh is like 3 times the size, I think, of Greenville. Someone make this make sense

Greenville is upscale and attracts tourists. Raleigh is a different city. There’s small resort towns north of NYC that have 5 star hotels and Michelin star restaurants that are probably the size of Wake Forest…

6 Likes

Shame things need to change somehow someway then

We need more tourist attractions and continued big events/festivals to keep bringing more people in from out of town that will spend money. Right now, aside from the odd event weekend here and there, the majority of our “visitors” come here for work. They don’t need to stay in nice hotels.

3 Likes

It’s happening slowly but surely. In a few years we’ll probably quit complaining about lack of tourist draw

4 Likes

You have a point. Be careful what you ask for. I know we’re a long way from an Orlando type tourist “problem” but we don’t want to even be in the same discussion in my opinion. I grew up in Central Florida and the transient nature and service industry that comes with massive tourism changes a region’s culture. Not for the better.

2 Likes

I used to live in Greenville. A good bit smaller than Raleigh. But very good nicely re-invented itself in the past 20-30 years. Main street is alive an hopping most nights. Great park with a waterfall right in downtown, minor league baseball stadium downtown.

5 Likes

We’ll never ever ever reach that level of tourism (they have Disney and Universal, of course). I’m talking more of the Portland/Denver/Philly type tourism attraction of just being a cool city with unique, interesting stuff to do and see that make people want to visit. This includes more robust, locally owned retail; more art galleries and public art in general (Miami’s Wynwood art district comes to mind); more unique museums (I’m thinking in line of Philly’s Mutter Museum and the like, not just your standard history and science museums); more fun activities like arcades, interactive art exhibits, and so on; more creative spaces; etc, etc, etc.

7 Likes

Looks like demo has started for Ish Delicatessen

8 Likes

This instagram embed isn’t working as well as I’d like but here’s a short video of the building coming down.

View this post on Instagram

Demol(ish)un. 🤷🏻‍♂️ #comingsoon(ish)

A post shared by (ish) delicatessen (@ish_delicatessen) on Jan 9, 2020 at 7:07am PST

3 Likes

That’s a pretty heavy-duty refurbishment. :joy:

Pretty small excavator they have there - maybe the didn’t anticipate the steel to be in such strong shape

She gone.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I really like the mid-century dinner vibe they seem to be going for here. It will go well with the renovated hotel.

Just walked by this afternoon and it looks really sharp.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this place was officially open within the week. Just rolled by and it looks done.

3 Likes