- Meetup Events -

To add to your summary…
I was glad MAB closed with a statement saying that the applicant conceded to the neighbors multiple wishes. Wrapping the deck being the biggest alteration (and a costly adjustment I’m sure). Regarding the Forest Park residents wanting the 12 stories changed to 8, MAB stated that the rezoning would continue to be prolonged if they “kept moving goalposts.” Melton wanted vote postponed to try removing the outdoor seating ban for more pedestrian street level activation.

15 Likes

Yeah, the major dynamic is that downtown has fans from all over, we’re diluted. However, an organized neighborhood group can target a rezoning near them and start to beat it back.

My Downtown CAC idea from a few years ago was sort of an attempt to fix that but I think it requires much more work. Especially since the ideal group would be one that shows up to support things rather than fight them.

Also, I’m busy Tuesday nights cause life. :smiley:

Emails it is, FWIW.

10 Likes

Great point… it’s hard to choose our battles as supporters. I thought about attending last night but didn’t think the rezonings on the agenda were particularly at risk, but after watching the Johnson st. meeting and opposition (which the main opposition speaker was also at the missing middle event at Dix park, speaking critically at one of my tables…) I got fired up to recruit some folks to come to council with me. I’m going to attend April 4th, so if anyone else is available and willing please let me know so we can coordinate!

8 Likes

I may be able to meet you there. I am getting ready for vacay but provided I don’t fall behind, I can be there.

3 Likes

Don’t forget there’s also the regularly scheduled meetup tomorrow night at State of Beer. Hoping to see some of you folks again!

4 Likes

I’m 100% there to join in at some City Council meetings to join a show of support for density/housing. Attended a meeting a few weeks back where the NIMBY turnout against projects in Mordecai and on Peace St was stunning. We need a counterweight in Raleigh.

While there are always strong forces in favor of NIMBYism, I share your view that City Council members need a reminder that there are people who support good policies.

8 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The future of Mordecai, Oakwood and Boylan Heights

We’re planning a coffee meetup soon, Wed March 29. Hope you can make it.

10 Likes

Can we do it Saturday at noon?

1 Like

I’m ready for April and warmer outdoor drinking weather.

10 Likes

And afterwards, there’s going to be a West St Extension tunnel drawing, Wile E. Coyote style.

(artist’s rendering below)

Before

After

8 Likes

It’s going to be gorgeous tomorrow for @GucciLittlePig’s run at the wall. I can’t wait!

2 Likes

No joke, this would be awesome in the meantime while we’re waiting for them to actually build the tunnel. Would be a popular photo op, for sure.

1 Like

If anyone at the City had a sense of humor, they would actually paint the tunnel Looney Tunes style. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That would be too creative for Raleigh. But maybe some influencer can get it done!

That’s exactly what I’m saying haha. Would be a genuine Selfie Stop.

We’re gonna get another mural of an oak tree, some acorns, the skyline, and some abstract genderless blue people happily walking around and you’re going to like it.

2 Likes

Tobias Funke is that you?

1 Like

I think I blue myself