Midtown vs. Downtown

I can’t remember the exact measurements but I know when I looked before it would not be. You’d really need a block and a half and even that would be pushing it width wise for modern arenas. We did some speculating on this a while back. I’ll try to dig up where it was on here later.

Edit to add the discussion.
Start here and follow the next 20 or so replies! Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions - #2124 by Francisco

2 Likes

You should’ve stayed there. The rooms are nice, modern, and great for single travelers or couples. Boston is actually getting another location on the other side of town.

2 Likes

AC’s venture outside downtown is getting close to opening in Midtown East.

16 Likes

I may have to try this out. I was let down by Torchy’s; especially considering how people on reddit were making a huge deal about it coming here.

Just had Rocky’s hot chicken in Asheville for the first time. Holy cow I want one in Raleigh…

17 Likes

A few weeks ago, at councilmember Patrick Buffkin’s request, city staff looked into creating a dedicated tax district for Midtown, just like in downtown or along Hillsborough St.

Well… Buffkin tried to push this through suspiciously quickly, but the rest of council convinced him to slow it down and send it to committee. Do what you will with this information.

Here’s a recording of councilmembers’ Q&A, and here’s the report:

Here’s a comparison of the tax valuations between the two proposed Midtown districts (see the report for maps), and how they stack up to our two other districts. Note that Midtown has several brownfields, though, and the report notes that they “will increase in taxable value as their tax exemptions expire in the following years”.

Tax District Assessed Value Revenue / 1¢ Tax FY’22 Tax / $100 valuation # of Properties % Parcels Exempt
Midtown (1) $1.96B $179.7k ? 334 3%
Midtown (2) $2.10B $190.9k ? 386 3%
Downtown $3.39B $337.0k 4.40¢ 1,741 11%
Hillsborough St. $0.74B $73.4k 9.65¢ 356 8%

Fun fact: city staff ran a similar study in the Blue Ridge area near the art museum, PNC Stadium, and State Fairgrounds. This got stuck in legislative limbo due to the lack of public input, though, and a booster organization trying to change that hasn’t seemed to have gotten much traction.

7 Likes

Had to share this. This is INSANE pricing for Lakemont. I remember when Lakemont was squarely middle class.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s a decent sized house, it’s near North Hills, it’s got a good sized yard, and it looks like it’s been updated. Is 725k these days not middle class? I mean maybe upper middle class, but it’s not like the 3 million dollar condos or 20k apartments.

2 Likes

Well, considering this that sold yesterday, the previous listing is really pushing the market. This one is hundreds of square feet larger. 4708 Lakemont Dr, Raleigh, NC 27609 | Zillow

2 Likes

There are a couple of houses that are selling close to 500k for teardowns in Lakemont.

I drive through this neighborhood everyday taking my kids to Carrol. It is amazing to see older houses there one day and nothing the next and a monstrosity going up a few weeks/months later. This whole neighborhood is morphing right in front of us. I wish we could afford to live in this area, but even the “teardowns” are well above (double or more) what our home cost.

I live in this area (my wife bought around here 22 years ago, luckily for me/us) and ride my bike around here often, and pretty much every day—not exaggerating—there’s a new tear down of one of the older small ranches to make way for a 5k sq. ft mansion. It’s crazy. There’s even one that’s being built with steel girders and concrete walls on Rowan/Camelot. Can’t say I’ve seen that for a house before. Have to think the higher interest rates will slow things down though.

Anyone know whats going on with the former Kroger in the shopping center on the corner of Wake Forest and Six Forks?

There is a fence around it that I hadn’t noticed last time I passed by (about 2 months ago maybe).

About a year ago I heard a rumor that Home Depot had some interest, but I’ve heard nothing since.

It is being converted to a 100k sf life science facility by East West Partners.

3 Likes

ughh. I mean i guess that’s cool, but I was desperately hoping for a Home Depot lol

5 Likes

That was totally the right time to buy in/around North Hills. Good for you!

Just lucked into it. My wife was born and raised in a house on Navajo street so I guess she really knows the area.

2 Likes

i was born in Raleigh in 69 and lived there for 40 years until I got wanderlust and was able to accommodate it. I personally would like the downtown area to become dense as possible but to leave a drive out of downtown( however that is measured) a varied SFH and tree-lined area. sure a 5 story ugly thing here and there and then the legit SF house neighborhood since decades ago there. it made Raleigh unique and pleasant to me.

1 Like

Next Tuesday, the Planning Commission will hold a hearing about upzoning three parcels in North Hills.

This case was deferred since it was introduced last week due to vagueness and lack of public amenity details. So now that we have a better-defined case, we can see something interesting: two of the proposed concessions to be made by Kane et al. involve making it easier to get to and around the North Hills area:

This means we may finally get to see where frequent, more convenient buses to North Hills may stop! That’s something that current BRT studies as well as the Midtown/St. Albans plan haven’t been able to conclusively decide on, so that would be some welcome progress.

13 Likes

im not sure how bike share stations in raleigh operate. if at north hills, some one walks from the SFH area behind north hills proper to us a share bike to where exactly? with the surrounding area i would think those people could easily afford an e-bike and easily pedal to harris teeter or rei and put small loads on the e-bike and quickly pedal home. i do this in roanoke, va regularly.

1 Like