sadly…I couldn’t mute it myself (or the other people all around).
I wish I could mute walking in that area too mind you. Not a fun area to do this. Yes I walk there on occasion and it is not pleasant (and would not recommend to others)
sadly…I couldn’t mute it myself (or the other people all around).
I wish I could mute walking in that area too mind you. Not a fun area to do this. Yes I walk there on occasion and it is not pleasant (and would not recommend to others)
people focus on the city not the individual. If this happened in any city it’s a cause for alarm. Stop blaming YOUR problems on me. They are your problems (I may still not stay here in this area, and those things all go into account)
and before you get too excited, if it’s me now it’s the next guy after, people notice these things and they will have an effect. You think people will just somehow not notice the ghetto in the Moore? Are you kidding me
This literally happens in every city. Ever been to NY or… heaven forbid SF or LA? Homelessness and associated issues (like said public urination) are (unfortunately) common across the country. Also
Y I K E S
If anyone finds the feature on how to put posters on ignore, please let me know. I poked around a bit but didn’t see it.
You can control who’s post you see in your profile settings. Go to your profile, click on the preferences tab, then click on Users under Notifications.
The dumpster fire of comments above reminded me of a great comedians bit about NYC that was on This American Life. “This city is back baby!”. Message in a Bottle - This American Life
Thanks for sharing. This feature actually needs to be more widely known.
Outdoor urinals at a 7/11 in Thailand. Loved this when I was there.
Homelessness is usually a mental health issue. It’s usually not a lack of privilege. It’s addiction and it’s people with no personal support system that need one. In some cases, it’s also people that don’t want to get off the streets. One of the hardest lessons I’ve ever learned in life is that some people do not want to get better, grow, or improve, and thus the assumptions we have of how they are feeling are wrong. I have family members that are doped out, estranged from their immediate family, on the welfare system, no skills, no money, and completely pitiful; yet they don’t want our pity. They chose their life and it ain’t changing.
To bring it back on topic, I think homelessness is such a complex issue- like AH there is no silver bullet. There should be some basic facilities, but obviously anything free to public will be abused and fall into disrepair. Hard to know what a comprehensive solution looks like, but specifically for urinating, perhaps a zero-flush composting toilet surrounded by trees, similar to what they have in wilderness parks where there is no plumbing.
I live 2 blocks east of Moore square. My fiance and I walk past every day. Its unfortunate that you witnessed what you did, but a number of your characterizations are rude and ill informed. We’ve been lucky enough to never witness any such thing, only smiles and hellos from anyone hanging out in the park and surrounding area. Sharing your experience on here is one thing, but perhaps next time, you can keep your editorializing to yourself or at least offer a helpful solution.
Clicked onto the Moore Square thread with all this activity thinking something cool was happening, only to find this train wreck. I’m glad I’m not this unhappy as a person.
Let’s all just hope the project mentioned was a grammar and punctuation seminar.
Cross-posting from the City Market thread; city staff want to lease the land to the east of Moore Sq. to an affordable housing-friendly development, and tie that in with the rezone-and-sell move they’re proposing for vacant property near City Market.
Here’s a TBJ article this morning about that. The city is taking proposals from developers on the block to the East of Moore Sq. Would like the eastern part to be affordable housing and the rest market rate but do make mention that more affordable housing within the development will score higher. A bit wordy but I think they’re saying although now the zoning is split between 12 and 20 they’ll let the whole block of parcels be 20.
Edit: 12/20 zoning staying the same
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/07/07/city-or-raleigh-to-seek-developer-for-downtown.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=me&utm_content=ra&ana=e_ra_me&j=24379368&senddate=2021-07-07
From what I have read, I like this plan. Remove the old conditions and convert to general 20 and 12 story Zoning. Sell the property on the Moore Square side for market rate apts. Long-term lease on the Bloodworth side for affordable housing, at least 120 units.
Making it a lease means the city will maintain some control and be able to terminate the lease if the developer does not abide by the terms.
The city market parcel will be sold and the funds will be used to gap finance the affordable housing.
So hopefully we will get some tall buildings to densify and activate the area and a good chunk of affordable housing under long term city control.
Thanks for the notice!
This is such a key site and a huge opportunity for the city.
Anyone know what the event is going on at here? Seeing it close for a private event is new to me so I’m curious who rents it all out.
As downtown’s premier promoter, I would suppose that you should be getting your 20% cut, right?
