Moore Square

Thrilled to have a chance at a very bike friendly grocery store location for east Raleigh. Picking up Produce Project at Chavis, dropping into Alimentari for meat, then swinging by Moore Sq for everything else is a perfect weekly run for me.

Don’t care what store it is as long as they build it. Give me a Food Lion if you want.

14 Likes

Not sure if the plan is to keep that little old looking gas station on the corner? I saw it in a few pics. I have always wanted that to become an ice cream store. More of a dream than a reality, but I’ve always liked that little building.

3 Likes

Yup, take a close look at those renderings. They have to keep it.

I’m kinda curious what that owner’s play is. Maybe there’s some lingering environmental issue from the service station, but it’s hard to see how that site could get developed alone

That 0.21 acre corner lot was not part of the City assemblage. Current owner is an LLC based in Illinois named “Moore Square Apartments, LLC” which I assumed was originally a toehold for a potentially larger project now superseded by the current proposal. Purchased in 2016 there are surely environmental issues with its history of not only gas sales but also as an extermination company’s headquarters.

1 Like

You’re talking about the old Killo building. That site is owned by Banner which is why their proposal had a massive building filling that whole space.

I think the original question was about the old gas station looking building at the opposite corner. I think the reason for keeping it is honestly because its cool old looking structure that adds character and texture. Definitely would’ve been easier to demo but what would be the point of that? I’m all for keeping it!

6 Likes

Lots of misunderstanding here but re: the old Horse Stable (the thing that looks like a gas station on the corner of the City Market lot) - that is designated historic and CANNOT be redeveloped, as @oakcityyimby almost touched on. Therefor, it has been preserved in all proposal renders. I will say, the person I know who works at Loden told me that they have a “really cool” reuse idea for that space, but she’s not allowed to tell me yet :triumph:

11 Likes

Yeah I never knew what that was for.

Horses :horse: :horse_racing: :racehorse:

I still think an ice cream shop there would be so cool!

2 Likes

Demographics say weed dispensary

1 Like

Are they really keeping the Raleigh rescue mission there? That will continue the disaster of Moore square. I can certainly understand the need for homeless support, but to put it next to a prominent park will mean it will never see me in it with my kid.

3 Likes

I understand the internal uncomfortableness or even potential “guilt” one might have being around the less fortunate but I think negatively acting on this sentiment exacerbates the perception issue.

Hear me out: if there’s a healthy mix of people across the income spectrum utilizing the park, the amount of homeless people is less noticeable, or “less threatening” overall to some.
If all people felt the way you do and allowed that perception to keep them from ever visiting the park, then yes, the prominence of the amount of un-housed people would be pervasive and a perception of blight and degeneration would plague the park and no one would want to go there. A downward spiral.

Homeless people aren’t scary (most are mentally stable individuals). Lots of parents take their kids there to play and many families enjoy a good time. Respectfully, what’s so different about your family that you couldn’t take them there?

Homeless people aren’t hiding in the bushes trying to take your kids. Most of them won’t even bother talking to you, and if someone does, you aren’t obligated to engage.
Most just don’t have anywhere else to go during the daytime. Parks are free and it’s public land. It’s all they really have available, unless there’s an expectation that the un-housed continuously walk for miles on end during the day so they aren’t stationary in any given spot for too long so no one else has to feel uncomfortable and we can conveniently forget they and the challenges they face exist. :woman_shrugging:

I challenge you to try going there with your children. Just see and treat people as people. Perhaps you won’t absolutely hate it.

38 Likes

Thank you. Our world has lost a lot of empathy. If you want to live in a sterile shell, then go visit your imagination…

9 Likes

Thanks for taking your time to post this! I 100% agree with this sentiment and get so frustrated when the more fortunate remove themselves from areas they deem are filled with the less fortunate (for example: rich parents putting their children in private schools because the public schools are full of people they perceive as being in a different, lower class than them - not to mention the racial undertones (or overtones)). The more people do this, the more of an issue it becomes. I love having a place and park for everyone, including our un-housed population, who are just as much a part of Raleigh as anyone else.

17 Likes

Speaking on that subject, I noticed this sign in Moore Square today. Looks like they might be trespassing people there after 11pm now.

5 Likes

Oof. That is what happens when you don’t want it turning into a homeless camp, but putting hours on city center parks is such a bummer.

10 Likes

I assume it’s only there so they can ask people to leave if they’re camping there. I doubt you’ll have people asking you to leave if you’re on a quick walk (although I definitely may be wrong there)

2 Likes

Think you are right. Have a direct view of the Square and there is no foot cop on the beat there. This would be when noticed and/or reported.

I wonder if that includes just passing diagonally through the park? I also wonder if they just put in the rule so that they can use it as a tool to prevent camping there overnight? It will be interesting to see how this actually gets enforced.

1 Like