Moore Square

Don’t forget undemocratic as well.

1 Like

But also, there’s a whole Reddit thread about how evil Greg hatem is…

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the Hatem Reddit thread. I didn’t know he was hated so much.

2 Likes

Shame about Empire Foods being the cafe provider. Guaranteed mediocre place.

Wasn’t the original plan to copy Shake Shack?

The presentation update was actually pretty good. I chopped it up and you can watch it here:

9 Likes

@dtraleigh

Hi Leo, did I hear/understand correctly from the video that on the new improved sidewalk on the City Market side would be a temporary or permanent farmers market? :yum:

My prediction is that the Groove Room is going to be completely taken over by skateboarders.
They’ll also grind on those community tables.
That said, I do like the way that the park is being activated with things for people to do, and places for people to eat.

2 Likes

At the 7:46 mark
“We do have skate-deterrents being put in, Although we welcome skaters”

2 Likes

Yes, they are calling it Martin St. Plaza.
At the 7:50 mark of the video he goes into detail about the possible uses for the 30 foot wide sidewalk.
“Working with the DRA to bring the Farmers Market to this plaza area”

3 Likes

But that comment was in response to a specific question from the Mayor on the seat wall feature. I did listen to the entire video. They didn’t confirm that those deterrents were in place for the community tables and the Groove Room.

Oak City Outreach Center (Across Person St. from Moore Square) served their last meal Sunday March 24th and have changed names and location. Monday was the ribbon cutting for Oak City Cares on 1430. S Wilmington St. and have directly replaced the services of Oak City Outreach Center.

I remember this being part of the grand plan around Moore Square and to eventually open this location up for bids/redevelopment.

2 Likes

Crazy how I’m reading news about San Francisco freaking out about a homeless shelters being built and here we have a beautiful multi-service center built and opened with little NIMBYing.

Also admire this logo.

7 Likes

With the city and county both supporting this too, from the first article.
“Making Oak City Cares possible are Wake County and the City of Raleigh who contributed a combined $10.4 million to purchase and renovate a facility at 1430 South Wilmington Street in downtown Raleigh.”

6 Likes

There isn’t much NIMBYing because it’s really not near anyone. I’m not even sure how many people are aware of this development. Maybe people would have been receptive to it being placed anywhere but in any event it’s a good development that’s going to help people.

It’s very close to Kane-Malik’s MLS Stadium project but they probably are not going to protest this…at least not publicly. Homeless shelters do damage property values of the surrounding areas. the blocks in San Francisco where the missions are are usually very sketchy and little to no businesses thrive there. They simply do not ‘help’ an area.

1 Like

Picture update from Moore Square:

3 Likes

Right, but they “help” people, and helped people sometimes undergo radical change and benefit or enrich the broader community. I’m glad they moved to an area that did not produce a bunch of NIMBYism and that they can continue to serve those in our community who need help. Bravo Oak City Cares.

7 Likes

It’s really not close at all unless you’re a bird. And they do help an area in that they help the people who live in that area not everything boils down to just dollars and cents and property values.

1 Like

Am I wrong to feel like this is “get the homeless out of Moore Sq and send them somewhere to the outskirts of downtown.”

3 Likes