Moore Square

Yes and kinda no. There were already services near the new center so it’s kind of a consolidation they could have attempted to consolidate downtown but the cost most likely would have been prohibitive.

I’m fine with that. Is that the last of the places around Moore Square to attract those folks or is there still something else there? Eagerly awaiting some plan to build on that side of the park.

If you are concerned about downtown economic development…it does.

1 Like

One way I view Oak City Cares is when I compare the cost of the land there versus next to Moore Square. It’s close enough to downtown to serve those who need it and were coming to the outreach center but far enough out that the land cost was low so they could do MORE with the money they had.

At the end of the day, it’s about giving people as much help as possible. That’s what should be important.

For those that argue it should have been next to Moore Square, I get that argument but then I imagine more money would have been sunk into land costs and building versus the new location. (which is cheaper land and had a building ready to renovate)

11 Likes

100% agree. Every extra dollar that is spent on land acquisition is money that would not have been designated to providing important facilities to help those in need in Raleigh. I think the location does a good job of balancing land cost with where people are that need these services.

1 Like

There was actually a lot of NIMBYing at the Central CAC presentation about it. I guess these NIMBYs aren’t as organized because I never heard much about it outside of that meeting.

This is more than just getting the homeless out of Moore Square. I think it centralizes a lot of the functions and optimizes the time spent getting people the specific help they need.

4 Likes

Unless charitable organizations that support the very poorest in our society own the land on which they operate, they will always be in a perpetual state of flux as the city grows and land underneath them becomes more valuable to the landlord.

2 Likes

Any updates on when Moore Square might be finished? Can’t wait to see latest photos!

The downtown farmers market will be relocating to City Market in June and then will move to Moore Square in July per the DRA.

So, I guess that means July!

5 Likes

Other sources had also been saying July. Almost there!

1 Like

With the trees so full it’s hard to get much of a shot from above.

11 Likes

Saw today this stand alone home next to City Market and Moore Square was covered. Guys with haz-mat suits were going inside, I’m assuming removing lead paint and asbestos.

Here is what it looks like without the tarps.

This whole area will be completely different from 2 years ago.

4 Likes

That house will be the pseudo “visitor’s center” for Moore Square run by the city’s parks department so I guess they are renovating it for just that.

2 Likes

Grand Opening is August 3rd.

7 Likes

What happened to July? :grin:

3 Likes

Roughly two months away from being complete. I have a feeling this will be an accelerator for development on the adjacent lots once this is up and running a year or more.

17 Likes

Hope the no smoking rule is strictly enforced.

4 Likes

The Visitors Center hazardous paint removed and I would assume getting new paint:

Also the cafe/restrooms nearing completion also:

11 Likes

Love that visitors’ center in the raw! Makes it look like an old time western movie!

5 Likes

Movies in Moore Square should be pretty cool!

11 Likes