More Museums and Venues in Downtown Raleigh

Red Hat Amp. will be in Dix Park?
If so, that is fantastic news!!!

For all T-Rex fans: the Nature Research Center actually already has one. It’s just a juvenile, so it’s smaller than the Acro, but it’s still fun to see! You can find it on the third floor.nrc11

1 Like

I’d like to see an interactive technology museum downtown that celebrates and educates.
As for the science museum expansion, do we really think that our current iteration of republicans in the general assembly are really interested in science?

3 Likes

@Leo, I wonder if the SF museum of ice cream is related to the one in Miami Beach?

Always thought a technology museum would be a big draw downtown, and educational for all ages.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Child Care in downtown

More music venues please. We lost one with Southland Ballroom closing. One thing I would love Raleigh to have is a true arts district. Probably too late since real estate is outrageous, but there’s gotta be a cheap warehouse somewhere in East/SouthEast ITB that can be converted into gallery/music venue/rehearsal space…

4 Likes

Tin Roof is coming to Glenwood.
That will be a music venue of sorts.

I always thought something like the Chase Bank Auditorium in Chicago or the Ed Sullivan Theater, i.e. a theater in the ground floor and offices above, makes a lot of sense. Nobody would complain about the noise at night and we would get both a theater and density together.

3 Likes

Would love if the Lincoln Theater expanded. Maybe several stages, a music producing studio you can rent, enclosed band vehicle area, etc.

6 Likes

Lincoln%20theatre%20outside20070208-100239-Lincoln-TheatreLincoln%20Theatre%202

I too would Love to see some kind of development near the Lincoln Theatre or even add a few more venues near it, A movie theatre…Bowling alley…a few shops…etc,

I would love more performance spaces next to Lincoln Theater.

Create a mini sixth street (Austin) experience.

5 Likes

I am pleased to report here that the former city limits space at 901 Tyron Hill Dr. Is being converted into an all genres 650 capacity live music club. It looks beautiful and I can’t wait to perform/attend there.

https://citybarraleigh.com

13 Likes

LOOKS nice but “City Bar” has got to be the worst/most generic name for a music venue I have ever heard. Unless they actually book some well known acts, attract college kids, and work on a more unique image- they’ll never fill it with 650 people on a regular basis and will not last.

I agree with you on the name, however a venue typically does not need to fill to capacity very often to “make it”. Like some restaurants, most music venues lose money or break even on smaller events and make it back on 3-5 banger nights per month. I happen to know that some of the mgmt team displaced by the closing of Deep South will now be here, and this is not a totally speculative venture.

The biggest problem I’ve seen with venues is a lack of “coopetition” - if Lincoln, Ritz, and this venue all book the same type of midsized artist on a Saturday night attempting to attract a similar musical demographic, someone will lose. If it’s metal, southern rock, and jazz fusion, then everyone can win.

Anyways, I welcome any new venue, especially one with this level of renovation/technical specs, and hopefully they will succeed and continue to raise the entertainment bar across the city. We did lose Southland and Deep South over the last 2 years…

8 Likes

Southland had 99% terrible shows, though I was bummed to see Glenwood South lose a venue when it happened. And Deep South never had many big or even mid-sized acts, but did have a killer open mic. I just can’t get over that name. “Where is the show?”
“City Bar”
“Which one?”

Literally the most generic name I’ve ever heard hahaha. But nah, I welcome new venues too. Let’s be honest though, they’re gonna need some big acts to fill 650 people even 3-5 times a month. Motorco has been killing it with booking, and they’re a ~500 cap venue, but I’m not sure the Deep South mgmt team is on the same level as them.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see, especially since CityBar (lol, reminds me of CityWok in Southpark) is not in downtown proper. Deep South is mostly an entertainment agency so their booking power is much larger than anything DS the bar ever could harness. They book a lot of bands for big festivals downtown, they manage the The State Fair performances, and other bigger events where temp. stage and sounds are needed.

5 Likes

What about Movie Theaters in and around DTR. where is the closest movie theater in DTR ? It would be awesome to build a movie theater in DTR, wasn’t there one back in the day ? if anyone can pull up old pics of a movie theater in downtown, that would be cool to see.

Lincoln theater is one, Rialto on glenwood avenue is another, would love to see more theaters built along with art galleries and museums. dine-in-lobby maybe even a bowling alley a DTR bowling alley, HHmmmm !!

1 Like

There’s also a movie theater in Mission Valley.
Just a “short” (50 minute walk) from downtown.

3 Likes