More Museums and Venues in Downtown Raleigh

Oh Yeah, thanks. Forgot about mission valley.

1 Like

I’ve had a dream that they will sell kimbrells and turn the basement level into a bowling alley. Barcade up top. I know it’ll never happen, but a man can dream.

4 Likes

Lincoln Theatre is not a movie theater. Alamo is just outside downtown and located there because the space was large enough and cost is probably still pretty low out there on New Bern. @John would probably concur about wanting a MULTI SCREEN CINEMA downtown, though :wink:

3 Likes

That’s too funny!!!

2 Likes

What would be cool to see…is a Harley Davidson museum in downtown, showing the history of one of the greatest motorcycles ever.

Well it’s from Milwaukee and they already have a museum there.

3 Likes

When the BRT gets going you’ll have Alamo, Mission Valley, and Blue Ridge on the line with very little walking involved.

2 Likes

This was mentioned over in the stadium/arena/sports thread, but Marbles is requesting tax funds for an expansion, and also to better connect Marbles to the other museums downtown. In its response, Marbles states that “As we reimagine our street presence, Marbles will take the lead in physically connecting neighboring downtown museums – NC Museum of Natural Sciences and NC Museum of History – through creative wayfinding and playful design elements.”

http://www.wakegov.com/roomfoodtax/Documents/Request%20for%20Information/RFI%20Responses/Marbles%20RFI%20Response.pdf

I think Raleigh could get a huge “bang for the buck” by improving the connections between those three anchor institutions. Having three regional class museums in such close proximity is great. The two NC museums feel fairly connected to each other, but detached from the rest of the city and from Marbles. Having them all feel like they are part of the city and connected to each other would be huge. Kind of a museum district that combines to form a critical mass of destinations for people across the state and maybe even other states.

7 Likes

I would personally vote yes for Marbles receiving money. However, the above quote sounds like someone has taken a class in extreame creative writing? Or, as my dad used to say, “What in tarnation did they just say”. I believe if you are asking for money, just bring the facts & figures. I am greatful that they asked for specific amounts of money instead of “takeing the lead in physically deciding the future amounts not actually laid out before us”…Lol :thinking::wink::money_mouth_face::woozy_face::anguished::blush:

5 Likes

It’s called Talkitecture.

1 Like

Maybe its a little jargony, but they are just saying that as they improve the look of Marbles from the street, they will take the lead in connecting the three museums with signs or other design elements. I could see them making a path between the museums with pavers that say “Raleigh Museum District” or something like that.

4 Likes

Is the public realm their mission, or the city’s mission? Do we trust a childrens’ museum to making these sorts of decisions for the general public?
Frankly, I trust Matt Tomasula with this work.

2 Likes

Each year, we make this list. Although, as the article states, the Biltmore has GOT to be the state’s biggest attraction, no?

2 Likes

And I am sorry to beat a very, very dead horse…however…
7. North Carolina Museum of Art, Raleigh, 617,116
Imagine THAT in a glass (filtered for light) enclosed space a DIX…
Both nature and Art in one place that would and could draw a million or more people and then truly be called DIX a City Park for the State of NC! :grinning:

2 Likes

I believe the Mint Museum in Charlotte located a second location “uptown”? Possibly a second site for NCMA at Dix, also a second location for the JC Raulston Arboretum. Partner with State Govt & NCSU.

6 Likes

I couldn’t find a more appropriate thread to mention this in, but this caught me off guard.

@dtraleigh for a second there, I thought you might be playing a show hahaha (:

6 Likes

wooh, my alter ego!!!

5 Likes

The NCMA is already in a 164-acre park and part of the greenway that runs through the city:

So, art and nature is already the case?

The NCMA cannot partner with the State Government because it is already the “state” art museum, the Museum of Art of the state of North Carolina:

“The North Carolina Museum of Art houses the art collections of the State of North Carolina. These collections had their beginnings in 1947 when the North Carolina General Assembly appropriated $1 million for the purchase of works of art, making North Carolina the first state in the nation to use public funds to buy art.”

https://ncartmuseum.org/pdf/MuseumFactSheet.pdf

3 Likes

Update here on the Tin Roof music venue coming to Glenwood. My band was asked to perform in mid October. I went by today and there’s still much work to be done, but seems they are ambitious on finishing and opening. Will be great to activate that corner!

6 Likes