More Museums and Venues in Downtown Raleigh

Looks to be a pretty good menu with some unique choices. And good drink specials. At least from the Charlotte location.
https://www.tinroofcharlotte.com/food-drink

I think they will do very well here.

2 Likes

NC Museum of Natural Sciences announced a major exhibit: the Museum has acquired a “dueling dinosaurs” fossil with the remains of a tyrannosaurus Rex and a triceratops. It won’t be displayed until 2022, but it should be really cool.

I actually read a story about this fossil a few years ago. Cool that it was acquired by our Museum.

22 Likes

It’s the only exhibit in the world of its kind.

5 Likes

This is legitimately huge for Raleigh. I am personally very excited to see this, and I bet a whole bunch of post-pandemic activity seekers will come from far and wide to see this, as well.

2 Likes

67 million years old?..but the world is just 6000 years old. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

To be fair, young earth creationists are a relatively new phenomenon (in the post-science era) and represent a minority of creationists.

I agree ! 100% let’s add some Pop to this City !

Just the idea of saying that we are post-science is frightening enough.

1 Like

City Museum in St Louis -

Meow Wolf - Santa Fe

9 Likes

I would absolutely love if Raleigh had more interactive art-installations/galleries/museums like these!

2 Likes

This is a big deal…or will be.

Kids will get to watch scientists (yes, they still exist unlike dinosaurs) meticulously unearth the only fully intact T-Rex found to date on the planet. Imagine once this process is complete and added to the dinosaur exhibit.

Add in the Blackbeard exhibit that will come one day. This exhibit will commence an addition project of some magnitude to the museum… BUT the NCMS has MUCH larger plans as does the History museum…one day. We probably need a change of leadership in the NCGA for these expansions to actually occur…before another 67 million years have passed.

8 Likes

Hmm, that reminds me of the two options the History Museum was considering, either adding two levels or building an addition in the parking lot across the street. Wonder if an option was selected, or if those are still being considered, or were they scrapped?

The parking lot is still “in play”

3 Likes

I would so much prefer they add levels to the current building, and save the parking lot for other mixed use (and taller) development. An indoor botanical garden would be one awesome use.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m okay if the immediately adjacent blocks to the Capitol Blg., including those that are diagonal to it, don’t go tall. Our capitol is a modest but elegant building, and I don’t think that it should be overwhelmed. The first block south on Fayetteville St. already violates that desire with the Wells Fargo building but, as a ceremonial core commercial street, I can get past that one direction.
That said, I’m all for adding more cultural options around the capitol itself, and an indoor botanical garden sure would be delightful to have.

9 Likes

The exhibit certainly sounds great, but this caught my eye

“The remains were uncovered about 10 years ago, but they’re estimated to be around 67 million years old. Zanno and the museum became involved around five years ago when their team first saw the specimens in a warehouse in Long Island, where they had gone to auction but not been sold.”

Was this not that big of a deal if no one wanted to buy it 10 years ago?

1 Like

Or they wanted too much money for it.

1 Like

The fossils have been subject to litigation regarding ownership for many years, that may have played a role.

Also, I think some collectors and museums prefer when the bones are removed from the sediment and posed. The Natural Sciences Museum is making the state of the fossil a positive by creating an exhibition that capitalizes on the process of removal.

I think this is a really big deal for the museum. From what I have read, this will be a truly world class exhibit and specimen. I hope the city and museum capitalize on it with branding, marketing, etc.

5 Likes

Post-science meaning within the scientific era… Not “post-believing the results of science”

Btw, excellent quote to ponder and remember.

“Science says nothing.
Scientists do.”

3 Likes

The museum has had these ‘under contract’ for years. I knew about this several years ago but it was not public information. They had a contract with the archeologist as well as the landowner who maintained mineral rights and was trying to claim the fossils were a ‘mineral’ after they were discovered. The museum had signed offer to purchase agreements with both parties while they fought it out in court. NCMS locked this find up early after discovery

3 Likes