More Museums and Venues in Downtown Raleigh

This is making national and international headlines.

CNN: 'Dueling dinosaurs' fossils show Triceratops, T. rex, may have died after a battle - CNN

The Guardian (UK): 'Dueling dinosaurs' of Hell Creek find home in North Carolina museum | Palaeontology | The Guardian

8 Likes

I didn’t know where else to put this but Raleigh is losing yet another music venue- pan2020 strikes again :sob::weary::cry: it was one of the only rock/metal niche venues left in the scene/area. Ughhhhh .__.

R.I.P. The Maywood (formerly Volume 11)

1 Like

Wow that really sucks.

Man… I hope we lose no more venues.

I do wonder what will happen with this space. I believe they recently remodeled the band hospitality and stage area. Quick search shows that the property is tied to Jeanne Fairweather - of the same family which @OakCityDylan’s new digs are named. The mailing address for the LLC is 514 S HARRINGTON ST

1 Like

This is mess is certainly causing a sever pruning across the board to so many small business.
On the bight side,many of now or soon to be empty spaces are kitted out for specific uses. So lets home the restaurants and venues in particular come back over the next few years.

1 Like

I don’t know where else to put this, but NCMA is building a Museum Park Visitor Center.

The Museum Park Visitor Center is sited at the south edge of the museum park, near the historic smoke stack. The 1,158 SF building provides refreshment, information, and bathroom facilities for park visitors. An expansive roof curves gently in deference to the art park landscape, extending outwards towards the park promenade and creating an inviting sense of prospect and refuge. The east end of the roof, nearest the park, shelters a large gathering space from which visitors can view the promenade and the contours of the art park landscape beyond. The building is long, low, and quiet, defining the south edge of the art park landscape and providing a visual foil to the verticality of the smokestack.

The museum says construction has now begun and should open later this year. It was designed by in situ studio of Raleigh. NCMA – in situ studio

22 Likes

NCMA and park is a real gem in the city. I’m glad it’s there.

13 Likes

Just read about this installment going in at Marbles and I think it is an awesome idea. We are very fortunate to have the NCSU Vet School in the area (I’ve spent a lot of time and $$$ there…RIP Willie) and it’s great to utilize that resource in this way. Hope some of you with kids will check this out.

15 Likes

That’s a great idea! Marbles is such a great place for kids! Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

Looks like we might be seeing some activity at the old Kimbrell’s building on Fayetteville Street. Empire posted on Instagram yesterday about bringing out the old awning:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfHs0tFvGgN/?igshid=NWRhNmQxMjQ=

But the real news is in the comments: Raleigh is getting a location of the Miami Selfie Museum here?!?

5 Likes

Lmao ok. I mean I guess it’s better than a vacant store. This will be the thing to revitalize Fayetteville St…

3 Likes

WTF is a selfie museum?

1 Like

Basically a place with a bunch of stations that you go through taking staged pictures. They’re actually a pretty big draw with Teens-Young adults.

I know I’m getting old, but I swear to God young people are getting dumber every day.

:grumpy_cat:

7 Likes

It’s something that doesn’t involve trouble or drugs so why not. I’m sure older folks had their things that people now would think are insane.

8 Likes

You’re definitely right. I know I certainly did, and it’s not like it’s a malicious idea or anything. It’s just a giant eyeroll for me (like influencers, crypto, NFTs, etc.) Give me an N64 with Goldeneye and a burned CD of 90s music and stick me in my old folks home. :grin:

7 Likes

Yes and they’re called pet rocks

3 Likes

Stop it. We’re creative and fun!!!

It’s a Kardashian thing.

2 Likes

Surprised there’s still new selfie museums opening. I’ve got a friend who’s a pretty successful business owner, he opened a selfie museum last year in Austin. He told me he regrets his decision. The business runs itself, but he’s barely clearing rent and staff. He plans to GTFO when his lease expires in 18 months.

3 Likes