Nash Square Apartments at Dawson/Martin

The Berkeley Cafe building itself only has a tax value of $12,000 which seems to show that significant investment would be needed due to some neglect if kept. It’s only 20 foot wide and would have been difficult to incorporate to the facade of a big building. Also, i think what really doomed the Berkeley is the lack of similar buildings adjoining it on the same block. The block has no character. And that Raleigh didnt seem to care as best i can tell.

3 Likes

At the end of the day, Raleigh has had a few business relocations from the original locations and all of them seem to be doing well in their new downtown locations.
-Five Star (from RUSBus location to Glenwood South/Smoky Hollow
-Clyde Coopers (from E. Davie to around the corner on Wilmington)
-Father & Son (from W. Hargett to RUS block)
-Of course Goodnight’s comedy club.
All of these businesses were in cool old buildings and I was sad to lose those experiences, but all of them have landed on their feet.
Other losses are just that, losses. John Askew Paints on Glenwood was an old favorite of mine and it’s gone. Snoopy’s (while not a fave) is gone. The IHOP on Hillsborough, site of many a late night munchie while I was at State closed years ago. A lot of long standing businesses have closed up to my dismay including the downtown Hudson Belk and its bargain basement (really aging myself here now). Point is that places do run their course and it’s sad to see them go. Some will land on their feet while others won’t.
Berkeley won’t be the last either because we have to contend with losing Char-Grill in the not too distant future. While we know where Char-Grill will land, I’m hopeful that Berkeley will find an awesome place to make its future memories, but I’m afraid that if they go the old building route, it’s just a matter of time before they are forced to move again.

18 Likes

Been thinking about this more under the circumstances, what might be best for the Berkeley in the event they do have to make a move for this tower to bring more housing and functional tax value for the developer / area? Understanding the difficultly of ‘finding the same scenario / vibe’ downtown for them building-wise, it might be nice to see Berkeley moving to the low-slung warehouses along Saunders that Atlas Stark is reworking - see pic below. While admittedly a ‘loss’ for downtown in the immediate sense if this happens, it would stretch vibrancy down to the Dix adjacent areas building with the developments at ParkCitySouth and Hammel while the Nash Apartments tower is constructed. Hopefully another business backfills the lower levels of the tower serving the community around the square.
Not the same and not perfect but perhaps the next evolution of the Berkeley business if they’re in this position to have to make a move.

5 Likes

See, on my mind the 50 story signature bldg goes on the N&O lot

6 Likes

In the end, the ONE thing that Berkeley needs to recreate is that back patio/shack. That’s one really cool space downtown. The other parts of the business are not that difficult to replicate.
The building that comes to my mind is the old house that Roast Grille is in. Does that building have any space? It doesn’t seem to me that Roast Grille takes up the entire thing, or does it? If not there, then some other building with an alley type space behind it where that vibe can be recreated.

8 Likes

Yep, agree and based on the fact that very few of those sweet, hidden outdoor spaces like that exist illustrate that’s the toughest aspect to find / (re)create in the market.

3 Likes

Isn’t roast grill going away soon too tho? I can’t keep track

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me. :hotdog:

1 Like

This is kinda my point in all of this. … you cannot simply just “recreate” a space like that. Sure, they can decorate some shiny new space with all that stuff as a tribute, but it will not have the same feel, the history, the dirt and grime that has built up over decades and decades, simply put; the shack in its current form is one of a kind. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.

6 Likes

You forget you’re downtown, it’s cool.

15 Likes

I love being able to walk around downtown and duck in here and feel like you’re just hanging with the locals. Monday bingo is also super fun!

5 Likes

What did I forget? This is literally what I’m referring to that will be lost forever…

EDIT: you’re saying “you forget *you’re downtown” sorry I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

1 Like

Shit, I see that now, I just fixed it. Gracias

But it can be depressing, I was yesterday very empty, I know it was Easter but not everyone celebrates.

New article in the N&O about this: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/wake-county/article274045940.html

It’s a bit misleading though as it states the Berkeley Cafe building won’t be affected as that clearly isn’t the case based on site plans.

1 Like

I’m liking this graphic from the ASR. I’d love to see some top-notch outdoor seating on the corner. There should be some good sidewalk vibes across from the square in the summers.

And then the terrace on the 36th floor. Oh man!

22 Likes

Unclear if there will be pickleball courts on the 10th floor…

3 Likes

One gigantic retail space… big “MEH” from me. These retail spaces just keep getting bigger and bigger, all but guaranteeing they will only be filled by a corporate owned retailer/restaurant group … maybe someday. Just ask the gigantic space in The L… or in Pendo tower… or … should I dare go on? Literally the only thing I’m happy about with this project is the increased residential units and some height in our skyline. Otherwise, it isn’t getting me very excited to see a 100 year old building knocked down for this.

2 Likes

@dtraleigh
Could I please request the link to the ASR? :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Please and thank you! :pray:

4 Likes