Nash Square Apartments at Dawson/Martin

That’s all the available retail space. It’s very common to see it split up into smaller spaces.

6 Likes

The trend towards full-block developments and giant retail spaces is incredibly frustrating and sucks the life out of streets. Do any of the urban planning wonks in the thread know what’s killed most small-scale urban development outside of traditional big cities like NYC/SF/Boston? Like brownstone-style townhouses and “regular” mid-block mixed-use buildings.

Otherwise, I’d hope you’re at least excited to see the most prominent and glaringly ugly empty lot in the city developed!

3 Likes

There you have it folks. It’s 20 feet wide, nothing can be done. Say goodbye.

Seriously though, The Berkeley Cafe has more character is it’s 20 foot facade than all of Morrisvile, Apex, and Cary combined.

2 Likes

Morrisville and Cary for sure, but have you seen downtown Apex? It has a bunch of lovingly restored old buildings.

28 Likes

You are right, I should have included the back patio in that comparison.

2 Likes

Morrisville was nothing but a crossroads as late as 20 years ago. Pretty impressive to what they are now. I would take Cary’s downtown overwhelmingly over the dystopian block around Berkeley with broken sidewalks and Dawson street expressway.

3 Likes

The takeaway here is that lovingly restored old buildings add character to a city/town. And thus, Berkeley’s building should be lovingly restored next to this equally important new development. Not demolished and forgotten.

4 Likes

Just a random thought here… would it be possible to move this beloved building to another location nearby? It isn’t that big and they DID move the Cape Hatteras lighthouse after all… stranger things have happened.

3 Likes

Anything is possible, but nobody is going to pay for that when the building isn’t financially “worth it” - the only way this building is preserved is by… preserving it. Renovate it, or reuse the facade - either would be a better outcome than just knocking it down.

3 Likes

Guess the reporters at wral do not know difference between apartment building and office building. Butt then withl so many WFH people maybe it could be an office building.

New office tower in Raleigh could mean a move for a downtown institution

5 Likes

There’s several errors in that article including:
“The new building will rival the PNC Plaza building for the tallest in the Raleigh skyline at 429 feet”

PNC is more than 100 feet taller at 538. Truist is 430 so maybe they confused the two.

The one good thing timeline wise in the article was:
“The Cafe’s co-owner, Lisa Lewis confirmed that they have a lease through November of this year, after which they hope to move to a new location.”

Looks like they are moving forward quickly with this development and also good news Berkley Cafe is actively looking for a new location downtown.

13 Likes

A quick search pulls up a wikipedia page with the current towers sorted by height. I have heard multiple times that people claim The Eastern as being the tallest in Raleigh and that, “how weird it is that our tallest is not in downtown” :roll_eyes:

Here’s a screen of the top 5 and Nash Square Apartments should slide in to number 3.

12 Likes

Do you, like, expect people to research facts before opening their mouth? Seems like a lot to ask.

5 Likes

Would be cool to see Berkley fill one of the many vacancies at City Market

25 Likes

Though there may be some office, isn’t this building mostly apartments??? Some serious issues just in the headline here.

8 Likes

Probably ChatGPT wrote this article.

13 Likes

It’s worth noting that the crown/spire is 111 feet tall on PNC Plaza. They must be talking about the roof height… which is 427’ on PNC Plaza.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that as well about The Eastern. I think it is b/c the Eastern has the most stories at 36 (PNC has 32), and they don’t realize that different buildings have different height floors, or they are just using “tallest” as shorthand for “most floors”.

1 Like

I emailed them a list of their errors with explanations why they’re wrong. In my experience, people usually appreciate that and respond well.
:melting_face:

11 Likes

Nash Apts will become the new 3rd, pushing Wells Fargo down to 4th … then RUSbus will come in at 5th tallest… COMPLETELY pushing the North Hills’ tallest out of the Top 5. Hell yeah :triumph:

15 Likes