NCAE "block" - Salisbury Square

Mixed-use building at 268 feet. So about 50 feet taller than Charter Square and 50 feet shorter than FNB. Residential building at 240’.

5 Likes

The image says that the mixed use was about 10 feet taller at 278 feet.

So you’re telling me it worked?? :astonished:
:raised_hands:t3:

3 Likes

Oh I see that now, west corner is 10 feet taller since the grade drops going down the hill on South Street.

BTW, the wife dug up this project in her systems and in Yardi it states there will be affordable housing included. Not that it’s a surprise, but I hadn’t seen that mentioned yet.

3 Likes

“Workforce Housing” that wraps the parking lot is the affordable component of this project.

4 Likes

Yes I remember that part of the proposal standing out to me when we first got a look at it. Good for them.

1 Like

I tried to sum up the major highlights of the project here on the blog. Nothing new for those that have been following along though.

https://dtraleigh.com/2020/07/salisbury-square-plans-to-bring-mixed-use-development-to-downtown-raleigh/

21 Likes

Nice follow up here. You’d have to think that the parking at McDowell / Lenior would be another domino to fall if this project and 320/328 W South street both move into development…!?

2 Likes

Anyone really think this project will actually get off the ground in the last quarter of this year? Kind of sad to see that Richmond has 4 times the number of cranes in their downtown than we do ATM.

1 Like

@Francisco true, but how many of those cranes are associated with VCU hospital expansions? Healthcare always has needs to expand.

7 Likes

Ah yeah you’re right. Still seems like Raleigh has the curse of no more than 2 crane towers at a time.

5 Likes

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article245497395.html

Problems began, the developers say, as they tried to secure construction financing: No investors were willing to put money into a commercial office building that would also house an elementary and middle school.

But Exploris says the developers reneged on their original agreement. Their partners, they say, tried to change the project and force them to accept a smaller, separate building on the site not included in the agreement.

1 Like

Don’t have the N&O let me guess this project is a bust ???:anguished:

It’s talking about the old 10-story Exploris building that did not get built.

1 Like

I thought they were on opposite sides of the RR.

The Western Blvd BRT “urban design opportunities” map clarifies that the McDowell/King/Western interchange could become a “square loop.”

I had no idea what that meant (aren’t loops usually round?), but apparently NCDOT calls the new Capital/Peace configuration a “square loop.” There’s one conventional diamond ramp, and one unconventional ramp that uses the street grid–hence “square”?

Anyhow, that may be tied to an eventual reconfiguration of Heritage Park, to free up more land.

3 Likes

Raleigh Today claims “[Salisbury Square] Construction is slated to begin late 2021.”

14 Likes

N&O lists Salisbury Square in “developments taking shape in 2021” with “site work is in progress”

13 Likes

Square loops are generally loops that connect to the street grid. More common in cases where existing arterial intersections are turned into interchanges. This was probably more common in the past, maybe 40-50 years ago. These days DOTs are more likely to build freeway bypasses and such rather than try to upgrade urban intersections into interchanges.

In addition to Peace/Capital, there are a couple more in Raleigh such as Wade/Oberlin. There are perhaps a dozen or more of them in Greensboro though. Ex:

4 Likes