NCAE "block" - Salisbury Square

NICEEESSSSSSS! In 5 years, Downtown Raleigh will look unrecognizable in a good way.

Don’t forget Park City South will eventually go up as well nearby.

6 Likes

Now imagine the two towers for the convention center hotel + tower giving this more depth as well as 121 Fayettville. If all that goes forward, in five or ten years the money shot skyline could basically double.

7 Likes

We’re gonna need a lot of tower cranes in the air :slight_smile: :building_construction:

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/03/11/300m-development-for-downtown-raleigh-has-hotel.html?ana=TRUEANTHEMTWT_RA&taid=5e6936dee318b90001d13b1d&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

1 Like

That’s very exciting!

RE amphitheaters, I guess I’d prefer each of two types that square with my idea of built everything. One that is full on park most of the time…a big grassy bowl that can seat people when needed but otherwise is just space for people to picnic and kids to do log rolls down. The other would be more like a Roman coliseum. Fully urban in nature sitting on top of a parking deck and packed with office buildings around it that dampen sound since they’d be empty after 5pm, not unlike the Durham Bulls ballpark. The seating could be like the Rose Garden with concrete for your rear but grass for your feet and enough space there to lounge if you wanted. The art museum’s space is a good approach too, but plopped in the downtown. None of the current ones meet either of those specs, but a proposed one in Dix meets the grassy bowl one. Current Red Hat replaced with one incorporated into some larger development downtown would be the Roman Coliseum.

1 Like

Oh goody. More apartments and zero condos.

And this white mesh architecture seems to be popular.

Additional photos I didn’t see shared above:

20 Likes

I like it but I guess straightening Salisbury street is now completely off the table.

Plans for Salisbury Square call for a 20-story mixed-use tower, a 20-story multifamily tower, a 6-story, 150-room hotel and 4-story building for workforce housing with attached parking deck.

The mixed-use tower will feature 242 upscale apartments on top of 175,000 square feet of commercial office and retail space. The residential tower will feature 270 luxury apartments complete with a rooftop pool.

Finally, plans also include 63 workforce housing units wrapping a shared parking structure. These units will feature below-market rates and will be reserved for lower-income tenants, DRP says.

4 Likes

Now add 121F and the 2 CC towers and that is a heck of a transformed skyline.

7 Likes

Another 1000 residents. I like it!

3 Likes

We seem to get a lot of these white mesh renders but nothing put in to practice yet. I wonder how they really look in the real world.

Aloft Durham by the DPAC I think has done a decent job of a similar facade. Would be interesting to see it on a larger building.

1 Like

I think that we may have ourselves a city when all that’s on the boards is said and done!
I have to wonder if this project will blunt interest in the two city owned blocks that are out for RFI? The timing’s kinda bad.

1 Like

So as much as I like it and hate to be a Debbie downer here…how likely is this to get delayed into oblivion? The last announcement on this parcel was for that 10 story high tech office building for Exploris school. Right? They claimed they were just waiting for a couple tenants to let their ink dry and they would be ready to turn dirt, but then it went radio silence for like 4 years. Almost nothing gets built when they estimate it will seems like and I am unfortunately super skeptical about this project.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing

1 Like

The AH component sounds a lot like the Garage Apartments project behind the Aloft Hotel on South Lexington in Downtown Asheville. Something like that would be a fantastic outcome. Essentially it is a screen building in front of the Aloft’s parking deck. That’s way better than the perforated panel BS that is usually employed around here to “screen” parking decks.

4 Likes

Wasn’t that proposal for the other side of the railroad tracks?

2 Likes

Yes, the exploris proposal is for the southwest side of the railroad tracks. No clue what’s going on with that site now.

12 Likes

Just wonder how long will take the “find fault with everything” crowed to come complaing the the the AH apartments are next to garage and not mixed in with the High $ building. :question:

3 Likes