NCAE "block" - Salisbury Square

It better not head in that direction. IMO, DT’s affordable housing issue is about location, not views or luxuries.

4 Likes

I hope they leave room for a commuter rail station. This was called out as a possibility in the downtown plan. It’s only half a mile from Union Station, but a station between McDowell and Kindley would puts a big chunk of Fayetteville Street, as well as the convention center, amphitheater, and Memorial Auditorium, within a much shorter walk of a train station.

It is important to think about this now, because unlike the vast majority of NCRR’s corridor that is 200’ wide (practically infinite), this is the narrowest spot on the entire corridor, only 100’ wide. That should still be enough for four tracks and an island platform, but four tracks and two side platforms would be a very tight fit.

(There is only one track today, but NCRR demands that any future construction between Raleigh and Selma must leave room for four main tracks. It seems that this requirement is entirely non-negotiable.)

10 Likes

One of the renderings/drawings lists it as Workforce Housing which is exactly what we need in downtown. Places where service workers, police and mimes can live affordably.

3 Likes

I agree, but seens I recall somewhere on here, there was examples of complaints about AH having a separate entrance and no access to some of the lux amenities that come with high $ units.

1 Like

I know that I’ve heard that sort of noise out of billionaire’s row on 57th St. in Manhattan.

I think people usually have an issue when there’s a “poor door” for a single mixed-income tower, less so than if affordable housing is in an entirely separate building.

Oh I guess you are right. Ok well good hopefully this truly does happen then!

low rent tenants wouldn’t be allowed to use the “luxe amenities” or they wouldn’t be luxe anymore. Who would buy non-exclusive-use at exclusive-use prices? That’d be like allowing coach passengers who paid for middle seat no baggage allowed airline passengers to sneak into first class and ask for free champagne, wouldn’t it? Give AH residents some niceties but not as nice as those paying a premium. One of the biggest niceties is location, by the way.

3 Likes

That means MLB stadium can’t go there unless further in corner behind train tracks.

Sigh…is this Raleigh anymore?

11 Likes

You can also add three or four buildings to the left for ParkCitySouth or whatever. The money shot is going to be wild.

3 Likes

You are correct. I’m really looking forward to the future skyline.

3 Likes

Other highlights from the article I haven’t seen posted:

“Construction is expected to begin in the fourth quarter of this year. DRP says the entire project will take years to complete. DRP is planning on two phases, with the hotel, residential tower and parking and housing structure in phase one and the mixed-use tower in phase two.”
“In the middle of the development will be the NCAE park, which will provide green space between the towers and structures. The park will be dedicated to the legacy and history of NCAE.”

-Luckily Dominion is the group developing this project so the odds of it sitting idle like the Exploris lot are slim. Dominion built the Charter Square, PNC buildings, as well as nearly all of the Wade Park area. So they are know for putting out quality projects.

8 Likes

That would be out of the shot here, no?

2 Likes

I think in (not too much) time the real money shot is going to be from Dix Park. The Saunders money shot has too much highway in it anyway. (Of course if we rebuilt that intersection…)

5 Likes

The clump of trees between the two roads to the left is where Park City South (née S. Saunders) will be.

1 Like

I would think that would be terrible acoustics for a concert venue.

2 Likes

That’s actually just the triangular patch between the on-ramp.

You’d have to go way back here to get the closest edge of Park City South in the shot.

4 Likes

Ahh yeah gotcha. :+1:

1 Like

So, we have to frame the expansion to consider how the ‘money shot’ is going to evolve? Interesting development strategy.

5 Likes