NCSU Developments

Alright y’all, we have some updates to the NC State physical master plan that includes some new renderings and maps. Overall, though, I think the plan is phenomenal and will help transform NC State into a truly great urban campus. Here are some highlights:

Main Campus

Highlights

• New large residential hub and campus dining facility directly west of Dan Allen (Bragaw, Lee, Sullivan, Fountain to be torn down)
  • Several main campus streets to be converted to bike & pedestrian only: segments of Stinson Dr., Broughton Dr., Faucette Dr., Dan Allen Dr. (see below), Lampe Dr., Current Dr.
  • Dan Allen Dr. realignment; current segment in between Witherspoon and Bragaw to become large pedestrian plaza
  • Pullen Bridge replacement renderings! (see images below bulleted list)
  • 2-way cycle tracks all over the place
  • Softball stadium moved next to baseball stadium, current softball field along Morrill Dr. replaced by new multi-purpose building
  • Bus hub along Cates Ave.
  • Pedestrian bridge over railroad tracks from (roughly) Broughton Dr. to Talley Student Union area
  • Various intersection improvements, including Western Blvd. & Avent Ferry Rd.

Imagery

Main Campus Master Plan Overview

Main Campus Bike/Ped Plan

The Brickyard Hub

Stinson East Hub

Cates West Hub

Broughton Drive: Existing vs. Proposed Conditions

Stinson Drive: Existing vs. Proposed Conditions

Cates Ave: Existing vs. Proposed Conditions

Morrill Drive: Existing vs. Proposed Conditions

Pullen Road: Existing vs. Proposed Conditions

Western Blvd. & Avent Ferry Rd. Intersection Improvements

Western Blvd. & Pullen Rd. Bridge Replacement

Centennial Campus

Highlights

• Centennial “Innovation District” that will bring several new buildings, new street grid between Oval Dr. and Centennial Pkwy.
  • Additional Wolf Village apartment buildings and new student residential area
  • A large “Centennial East” mixed-use development between Centennial Pkwy. and Dorothea Dix park
  • Various bike/ped improvements
  • New cluster of academic buildings near the intersection of Main Campus Dr. and Trailwood Dr.

Imagery

Centennial Campus Master Plan Overview

Centennial Campus Bike/Ped Plan

Centennial East Mixed-Use Development

Centennial South Hub

Other

Highlights

• Recommended bike lane additions along Trinity Rd., Blue Ridge Rd., and Hillsborough St.
  • Additional buildings, streetscape & bike/ped improvements at Vet Med campus (“West Campus”)
  • Additional Lake Wheeler Hub facilities & nature trial
  • New Reedy Creek Hub facilities

Imagery

West Campus Master Plan Overview

Veterinary Medicine Hub

Lake Wheeler Hub

Reedy Creek Hub

That covers about everything, but I still recommend checking out the plan for yourself! The Board of Trustees will vote on the plan sometime this month. If you’re a fan like I am, I highly recommend submitting feedback with your support to the online form at NC State Physical Master Plan (ncsu.edu).

44 Likes

This is incredible. Thank you for taking the time to go through and post all this.

Looking at all this makes me think - does NC State have the most land of any entity in the city?

6 Likes

Wow. If even half of this gets built it would absolutely transform campus. I’m glad that whoever is planning this has their priorities straight.

6 Likes

It’s the largest school in the entire state, so I would assume so!

Let’s widen the scope a bit - this would literally extend the urban fabric of the entire city! This pic is particularly enticing!

25 Likes

NC State being an urban campus is so underrated. It’s a 20 minute walk to downtown.

8 Likes

As a proud NC State alum, this looks amazing. Hopefully this will happen in our lifetimes!

Side note, I can imagine the traffic nightmares this will cause painting a big 'ol NC State logo in the middle of Western/Avent Ferry intersection :laughing:

10 Likes

Not sure I see what makes the “Safe Crossings @ Intersections”. Saying it doesn’t make it so. I guess the tunnel idea is no more?

2 Likes

When I was at State (98-02) we regularly walked to IHOP and Cameron Village, but never made it all they way to downtown. Ironically, it was so close and we never did it. Hillsborough Street was in pretty rough shape back then and has come a very long way to improve the experience. I never thought of State as an “urban campus” when compared to VCU in Richmond. But in hindsight, I guess it is a pretty urban campus compared to may other of our UNC system schools. One of my twins wants to go to State. I hope for her sake, she gets a better urban experience than I did back in the day.

5 Likes

There was a lot of student feedback about the Western Blvd crossings feeling unsafe. The master plan is highlighting it as a priority and then if/when this project is undertaken it’s documented as being something that needs to be addressed. This is just providing guidance for future projects, but it does read pretty funny on the image hahaha :laughing:

5 Likes

Looking at it, it seems it at least is pitching wider corner waiting areas, and big median to stop in the middle if you’re cutting it close

Supposedly the tunnel is still happening in ~2026 per NCDOT. :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

The masterplan for State sets up the university to be huge. It’s not hard to imagine another 10,000 students.

7 Likes

That mixed with all the other people moving to town and you realize how far behind we are on building housing. The downtown core will suck up everything in the pipeline right now quick.

6 Likes

I wonder if the City/NC State would partner up on any sort of redevelopment of the Mission Valley shopping area at the same time? I was looking through the 2030 Comprehensive Plan and they mention a lot of opportunities for a TOD-centric mixed use development right there. Would make sense since there’s a BRT station in the graphic above within walking distance.

14 Likes

I agree, this is badly needed. One of my greatest fears is Mission Valley being “redeveloped” to something akin to its current form – e.g., little housing and tons of parking. Not sure how an effort to purchase and redevelop the property could be initiated, of if it’d be possible, but the property is vitally important. Not to mention, the City has implied that the Avent Ferry Rd. Corridor improvement project is likely contingent upon a redevelopment (or would at least become a priority once redevelopment occurs).

4 Likes

I know none of this “Centennial East” development will actually happen, but seems like a better effort for a more cohesive ‘urbanish’ district would be to connect Centennial and Centennial east instead of having an island of surface parking and giant boulevard barrier. And then keep the natural edge of Centennial connected to the natural edge of Dix. Smaller footprint could lead to denser development there than spreading out Texas doughnuts over a larger area.

6 Likes

All that surface parking is due to the transmission lines above, so it will never be developed.

6 Likes

Oh fair enough. My bad.

Just looking at some of the renderings you can see there’s lot of potential. Especially as NC State continues on its trajectory of more and more students attending. Maybe they could include a new movie theater in all of it?

4 Likes