NCSU Developments

Yes, and this is called on-campus housing.

They still feel like it’s just barely an upgrade from a prison cell, btw. Many dorms and NC State-owned apartments outside of Centennial Campus have barely been renovated since the middle of last century.

source

source

Then again, at least endemic mold problems aren’t a concern for State, for now… (like… go Heels. …but damn.)

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure mold was not an environmental hazard in the 70’s.

It was just mold.

But then I was smoking like a chimney so I guess it’s all relative.

5 Likes

Yeah I call Five Points low density urban.

Same here in 2009-2010

I’ve said almost this exact same thing before with the added thought that the starting point is the underfunding of universities. Notice how few new dorms NC State has built relative to the number of students it has?

2 Likes

Does The Uncommon not have a parking garage? That would be pretty amazing…

6 Likes

from their web site.

s there parking at Uncommon?

Of course. We have a secure, covered parking garage for the exclusive use of our Uncommon residents. To discuss getting your personal parking spot, contact our leasing office. Spaces are limited and leased on a first come, first served basis, so be sure to call to inquire about a parking spot today!

1 Like

Being only three stories makes it look kind of odd to me. Kind of funny that a three story stick built building is using a tower crane while the ten story two Glenwood isn’t.

Well of course. That would be too Uncommon if there was no parking…

1 Like

The parking is under the amenity deck on the north side.

3 Likes

I’m going to guess that parking isn’t 1:1 here and that’s fine because it’s been thought out properly.

1. Target audience is students who all go to the same place each day
  2. Not all students have cars
  3. The majority of student life revolves around the campus
  4. The Wolfline takes students from this location to the campus
  5. In addition to Citrixcycle, State has the dockless Lime system
  6. It’s actually walkable to campus as well

When you plan for people to have their necessary experiences without a car, you don’t have to provide parking for everyone.

10 Likes

Will , You probably are aware of this . Boo Corrigan is having Ewing Cole do a sports stadium study on
all 23 sports at State . His first priority will be football & baseball . This information was posted by J. Cooke on Twitter this week . Sounds good to me .

4 Likes

Well, it’s downtown-ish (Centennial Campus). But kind of a big deal. The NCSU Plant Sciences Building! Costing $160 million dollars at 5 stories. Designed to keep NCSU as a top agro science center. InfoGraphic

With rooftop greenhouses (wow!) the building will house growth chambers, environmental rooms, core instrumentation suites, and labs for genotyping, spectrometry, ag-bio engineering, and chemical and soils analysis.

Live action webcam

23 Likes

I’ve been seeing the crane near Centennial as I’m driving down Western Blvd. and was wondering what they were doing. Pretty cool.

3 Likes

The new Fitts-Woolard Hall is a $154 millon dollar project for this new engineering building.

It’s being constructed right next to the snazzy Hunt Library (this silver building, center). Will be behind it as viewed in this shot):

Live action webcam
and
Live action webcam2

I dig the motto seen in that second cam:

NC STATE: THINK AND DO THE EXTRAORDINARY

9 Likes

Wow they are already wrapping that one up soonish… I forgot I saw it being sheathed last spring. Big $$ being pumped into centennial campus. And that plant sciences building?!? Wow, I had not seen that. I wonder if it will glow at night with grow lights like some of the research green houses in RTP.

4 Likes

As little love that State seems to get in the Triangle vs its sisters to the west, I am really proud to be an alumnus, and I continue to be impressed by how forward looking they are in their decision making.

14 Likes

Looks like State is going away from red brick.

1 Like

I have been trying to figure out where the heck that crane is at. You can see it all the way down Lenoir.

The top of the Plant Sciences Initiative building is indeed intended to glow at night; they put the greenhouse space up there with that specific intention. It will also be visible on the horizon and the Initiative is trying to convince some major donor to pony up 8 figures to put their name on the top of the building. So…is it really an academic building if it has some corporate sponsor’s name on it? I don’t know. Without getting into it all, I’ll just say I’m glad I’ll have moved on by the time the building opens and the U starts trying to move various groups into and out of the building (key design element: there will be NO permanent office/research space, everything is shared, so the U can move researchers into and out of it at will. What will become of our existing permanent spaces on main campus, if they move all or part of our lab into the new building temporarily? Who knows! Will any potential new hires be interested in this kind of unpredictable work environment? I sure as hell won’t be, and I’m not exactly the type of nationally-reknowned researcher the U claims it wants to hire. We already can’t get our top candidates to accept job offers; this building was designed to get more potential big-name candidates and donors, not to actually create an environment that allows plant research to thrive or that top researchers will want to be a part of. It’ll bite them in the ass, but the dean who has been driving the construction and planning of this building will have taken some other job by then).
Huh, guess I went ahead and got into it all anyway. Whatever, the building will be pretty. Greenhouses definitely look pretty sweet on the skyline.

4 Likes