Oak City from Above! (aerial picture requests)

That would have been impressive to fly from Salt Lake City to Raleigh. :joy:

1 Like

Everything is possible with magic underwear.

3 Likes

@OakCityDylan, are you still taking requests? An update to this view would be awesome with all the Smoky Hollow, Capital Blvd, Bloc 83 progress, plus other cranes and such.

1 Like

Apple Maps updated their satellite imagery to around last fall with smoky hollow progress and clearing for 301H.

7 Likes

I bookmarked your request and hopefully I can get to it before we leave town later this month. I agree it should look great with the new construction!

3 Likes

Would be cool to see some occasional aerial shots of construction progress on 540 as theyā€™re clearing land now and building bridges. Not as sexy as a high rise, but a very important development for Raleigh.

Cary town center transformation starts very soon, thatā€™d be neat to see progress drone pics too.
Thx

9 Likes

Iā€™d have to like get in the car and drive places. LOL!
Great idea though! Iā€™ll see what I can do. Sounds like I need to set up a schedule and maybe a few points. Can you help with a few points of interest along the 540 construction? Iā€™m guessing intersections like Bells Lake Rd, etc.

7 Likes

Youā€™re like me; you only want to drive long distances to places afar, but donā€™t want to drive when youā€™re staying put!

1 Like

Thanks for considering 540ā€¦ Iā€™m a road nerd sometimes, So Iā€™m kind of interested in how theyā€™re building some of the interchanges like at 40/70, 401, and the starting point in Holly Springsā€¦the maps are all online, and they have a Google Earth overlay You can install, The intersection at 40 and 70 is massive, wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s the largest interstate interchange in the state once itā€™s built.

For that matter it would be kind of cool to see the 440 reconstruction at the major intersections from 40 to blue ridge to wade avenueā€¦ I mean if youā€™re going to be in your car anyway lol.

Thx!

4 Likes

Cooler yet, would be to see DTR from one of the massive flyovers that will be 540, 70, & 40 near the 42 intersection of Cleveland School rd! :star_struck:

3 Likes

It is insane. Like Texas interchange big. When I drive by there I wonder all the cash that is spent on it. maybe one day we can get the commuter rail built instead of more highway lanes.

7 Likes

When the final alignment was released I recall an article stating that it would take up ~650 acres.

Iā€™m still so confused as to what exactly the whole Wade Ave and 440 thing is supposed to look like once finished. I drive through that mess 3 or 4 times a week. I just hope itā€™s done soon, but right now itā€™s a conundrum.

1 Like
3 Likes

NC540 at I40 at 70 Interchange is at 4:33

8 Likes
4 Likes

I wonder if that greater interchange will feel as a big as it looks in that animated aerial? It might just feel like a series of overpasses, unless one or more of them are particularly tall.
Whatā€™s interesting to me about 540ā€™s crossing of 40 at both ends is that that they are basically both at the county line.

3 Likes

Watching the flyover that was my impression @John. NCDOT always gone for using a ton of land to make major interchanges large and flat as opposed to stacked. I canā€™t think of anything in NC comparable to stay the I85-Perimeter interchange in Atlanta.

2 Likes

I 540 at I 40 just past RDU is right at the county line also (Just barely in Durham County).

1 Like

I know that. Thatā€™s why I made the comment.

Watching that video makes it really easy to see where Wake is going to put hundreds of thousands of new residents. Itā€™s getting really easy to imagine Fuquay and Holly Springs nearing 100,000 each.

3 Likes