Olde East Neighborhood

This is certainly better than single family, but I’d still like to see more density and purchasing opportunities if in fact these are condos for sale.
Given that Lenoir may remain the longest east/west connector on the south side of downtown, I think it’s probably the best corridor to building more residential density.

3 Likes

Yeah, that location is sketch, even at half that price. Watched those slowly go up during my time living nearby. I suppose they were counting on the same Austin or Seattle transplants who spent a fortune on poorly constructed SFH that were built a few years ago next to the projects. I talked to several of those peeps when I used to take my dogs for walks along Chavis Way. Deep regret was a common theme. Not enough prior knowledge about the immediate neighborhood. Assumed 800 grand or so in Raleigh, NC was buying them a better neighborhood. I too made that error, but at least purchased before Covid and was able to sell to another naive soul.

1 Like

Yea, they placed a sign in this front yard last week showing the approval passed. This will be the densest development until you reach Person St. Everything else around is either SFH or 1 story apartments on several acres and service parking. So this will standout, and directly across from Ligon Middle school too.

Siding is mostly up on the north side (photo from yesterday morning)

12 Likes

Almost 2 years since it was a hole in the ground.

1 Like

Are we saying that this is a candidate to replace our 615 Peace frustrations?

1 Like

Siding is all up and painted

Other side from a few days earlier

17 Likes

New signage up for the condos. This looks very generic, but better than before.

7 Likes

Props to this developer for not building $1.2mm condos that will be on the market for the 2 years it takes to build these + a year afterwards while they only drop the price 5k.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that the police have shut down operations over at Twins Grocery. Indeed, I’ve driven by several times and it looks like the normal activity outside is gone.

I don’t know what finally prompted this or if it will last, but wanted to make a note of it here in case anyone else has any more information.

I heard they weren’t even twins, just two guys that looked REALLY similar. Probably had something to do with the law getting involved!!!

2 Likes

@Drew The exterior is being finalized and we wanted a monochromatic contemporary aesthetic . The look is to have it appear as two separate buildings, even tho it is one single structure. Please share some exteriors you like and I can use them as inspiration for future projects.

As you can see, the price point is realistic for first time home buyers to start building equity, having a space that is uniquely their own, and taking advantage of mortgage interest tax deduction.

My favorite part about this project is the framing will be with cold-formed steel instead of wood!

10 Likes

Yay for this news! :mechanical_arm:

1 Like

Finally ate at Yatai - reasonably priced, ramen and sushi were delicious, $3 Sapporo pours!

Transfer Co was packed at lunchtime, we love to see it.

15 Likes

Food Halls in general seem to be overpriced for what is essentially counter-service fast casual dining. It’s good to hear that it’s reasonable.

1 Like

That’s good to hear from someone with first hand knowledge, it’s tough to pick up details from the rendering. Do you know when this will begin construction?

Redfin has already posted a listing this week.

711 E Lenoir St #303, Raleigh, NC 27601 | MLS# 10047085 | Redfin

8 Likes

I saw some hate for this render on here, but I must say I love it. Simple and efficient. Not a bunch of random bullshit all over the facade, just a couple materials and a basic, minimal color scheme. More of this please.

3 Likes

“I saw some hate for this render on here, but I must say I love it. Simple and efficient. Not a bunch of random bullshit all over the facade, just a couple materials and a basic, minimal color scheme. More of this please.”

(I kid, I actually like modern architecture more than a lot of try-hard “contemporary” stuff)

3 Likes

My mom grew up in a khrushchevka like this in St. Petersburg. Not sure they can be considered “modern” architecture though. Just precast housing blocks. I love them too. These ones in your picture are probably in Moscow and will be demolished at some point.

1 Like

This is in my neighborhood and I like the variety it brings. Love the mix of older traditional, modern, new traditional, and contemporary all scattered about. The new construction is predominantly infill or replacing with density, but there are many older homes here to stay, either well-maintained or renovated. There’s no other Raleigh neighborhood with the variety in architecture. I love that it’s allowed here.

5 Likes