Olde East Neighborhood

Some not-so-good news: Videri Chocolate is halting their plans to expand into Transfer Co. Food Hall.

Interesting. Glad to see they have potential other tenants lined up tho. What’s going on with Saxapahaw General Store? I know it’s the last phase but I feel like it’s getting no news. Is it still happening? That’s the thing that would have the biggest impact since downtown Raleigh doesn’t really have anything like that.

3 Likes

I was waiting for an official announcement before I posted here, but this was decided a while ago. There’s more behind the scenes in terms of ownership too that’s being decided which I’m sure isn’t helping.
It’s a shame I thought they would become a great addition, but after seeing the immense popularity overnight, a new tenant will quickly take that space.

3 Likes

What a view!

8 Likes

How much for that yummy looking meal?

$12 with the esquites (corn).

Please say that also includes the drink?

Yeah, the corn looks amazing.

I’ll say that I like this place very much but I got a $13 fish and chips with 2 tiny pieces of fish and cold fries today, and a $7 beer. Not exactly ecstatic about that.

2 Likes

Nope. This place ain’t cheap unfortunately. Given the crowded it seems to be priced right.

Just hope when the “new” wears off they can command those prices. $7 for a beer is just too much (IMO). Why can you go to Asheville, New Bern, etc. and get a pint for $4-$5 all day long? I think as choices (competition) in DT increases, many outlets will need to rethink their beer prices.

1 Like

Chances are that the prices of beer are related to the cost or rent that the landlord charges.

1 Like

Not all the draft beer is $7. They usually have a $3-5 beer on tap. 2 weeks ago it was Modelo pints for $3

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant good beer. :wink:

And now to put on my old man hat, I remember beers being $4 as the standard when I moved here. Then it started being 5. Now 6 is the norm at most nicer places, and 7 is becoming more prevalent. Maybe it’s rents increasing, maybe businesses just charge what customers accept and are used to.

It’s pretty much like that everywhere. Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Durham, Pittsburgh, Seattle. The trick is to get half pours at the places that offer them.

2 Likes

When I eventually own a bar we will have half-pints for you. :grin:

3 Likes

How about a full pint for half price? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the restaurant and bar tax to help fund a stadium project :yum:

4 Likes

Walked to Benchwarmers for breakfast Sunday morning and the front entrance was open to allow a cleaning crew inside. I was able to take some pictures while the door was open, looks only a couple months away from serving food.

All I can say from picture is the chef is not from South or would know better then to serve that kind of slaw with the BBQ. :sob:

2 Likes