Olde East Neighborhood

Has to be chopped slaw, am I right?!?

My buddies Brothers Egg were providing entertainment Saturday. Met Joe Kwon via mutual friend and he assured that music is in the future for transfer including stages for Hopscotch and IBMA fest.

10 Likes

Finely shredded cabbage, carrots, and onion. Mixed with mayonnaise, sugar, salt, lemon, vinegar and pepper.

1 Like

Yeah that slaw wasn’t Eastern Carolina style but Esquites is Mexico so I didn’t expect authenticity. Every day I’m more convinced into getting into the food scene as soon as possible and start a new wave of restaurants in Raleigh but damn is the start up costs insane and my IT job so nice.

3 Likes

Yep, restaurants are a expensive high risk businesses. BTW I’m a solid NC boy, seems one of few on here, and enjoy good eastern NC foods. I have been in IT since early 1970’s and still at it, good pay and enjoy it.

1 Like

News that Chhote’s will be open starting Friday at 11am. I’m guessing their location is the spot covered up by the NCAA march madness wall.
https://transfercofoodhall.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=d09b744b5f8a01cce2d438525&id=1c65209d9a&e=d275a6f3b3

1 Like

9 Likes

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Raleigh is notorious for this. I still wonder how I can go to cities where the real estate costs 10x what it is here and the food price is the same…

Aye aye captain. Greensboro born, mostly Raleigh raised. Sans a decade long trip to NY. No more $5 lunches here as of about 2002.

News coming out Bul Box(Asian) will open tomorrow Thursday 4/11, and Dank burrito to soon follow sometime this month.
https://www.facebook.com/events/375901572998177/

Some other articles Transfer Co. was featured in recently:
Bon Appetit article on Benchwarmers:

Walter Mag article on Locals Seafood:

4 Likes

Great news! How many spaces are still unopened in Transfer? Is it just the former Videri space?

And Sax Gen Store. No idea what their timeframe is tho. Seems nonexistent

1 Like

Still a few more left to open.
Longleaf Swine BBQ: still a few months out:

Burial beer expansion also a few months:

Still not sure what is going here:

Here is where videri was planning:

Also Bul Box opening lunch was very busy.

3 Likes

The grocery store is probably years out too, if it even opens. I’ve been waiting two years! It’s not like it’s a physically complex building to make too. It’s a standard one-floor steel framed box with brick facade.

1 Like

The planned new construction on the other side of the patio is 2 floors. Bottom floor at East St. sidewalk elevation.

2 Likes

Dank Burrito is holding their grand opening Friday 4/19 at 10:30am.

Hopefully the line isn’t crazy like opening day at Bul Box.

3 Likes

A new thing opening on Good Friday when lots of people are off? It’s gonna be SLAMMED.

2 Likes

I swear to God that half of being a chef these days is in how you artfully describe your process and ingredients.

“We’re not your typical burrito joint,” chef and founder Clarke Merrell said. “I come from the fine-dining world where you don’t cut any corners, and you can spend days just enhancing the flavor of a single ingredient in a dish. We want to take that fine-dining flavor experience, which few get to enjoy, and bring it to the street. We take inspiration from the most craveable street food flavors everyone loves, then we source the freshest possible ingredients and enhance them through fine-dining techniques. We wrap it all up in a humble tortilla and serve it in a causal space so that anyone, regardless of where you come from, can enjoy it.”

2 Likes

Yeah, Dank Burritos is just a standard fusion place. I’ve never really loved fusion cuisine as it’s almost always done poorly. Probably because these chefs don’t even understand the original recipes/cuisine in the first place.

I saw the menu yesterday and I can tell there will be a lot of sweetness to the food already.

3 Likes

…oh, and don’t forget, we will charge the s*^# for it as well…:wink:

2 Likes