Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

This can be a tremendous area of activity and real tower height/apartments/condos/retail.
Will look great if done right and does nit look light suburban/tan color towers.

1 Like

Be great to have serious height in phase 2 back end lot (taller than existing condo/apartment building) and height in all of phase 3

Will Johnson Street off of Capital Blvd connect to Johnson Street at West Street? I was walking around the area and it looks like it will take a bend to the right at Harrington to connect but it wonā€™t match up if it goes straight.

Not on those plots please!! Call me a NIMBY, but I have a view that I love!

Hopefully Kane will use punching Tucker through as a bargaining chip to request an upzoning for taller buildings.

3 Likes

@Raleighwood
While I agree with applauding Kane, ( dare I say, Go Kane! Lol ) I have very serious doubts about anything being above 15-18 levels/stories. I base my opinion on current zoning, other buildings currently in place (setting a presidents) and just the lack of desire on the part of some city council members approving that type of height due to the DTP (or whatever that plan is called?) Sorry, but just my opinion of course!

Yes, itā€™ll bend slightly but for sure, Johnson Street will connect from Capital to West.

Density > height.

As more and more land gets developed, even at ā€œonlyā€ 10-20 stories, fewer lots will be available, and those that are will become pricier. Developers wonā€™t have much choice but to build taller at that time.
But we arenā€™t there yet. This isnā€™t really a spot where someone would plop down a 40 story tower without there being any precedent for such height in the neighborhood. So for now, letā€™s keep pushing forward with what we can get built on these lots, which for now is only 10-20 stories. It will add to the density of the area and push us ever closer to the point where taller buildings become more feasible.

7 Likes

R-Dub - you NIMBY! lol

3 Likes

There is something of an industrial/warehouse legacy around much of this areaā€¦Iā€™d like to see buildings that resemble 555 Magnum going up in Durham that use the desirable things about industrial conversions (big windows with brick, minimalist facades etc.) to invoke that history. Iā€™d even like to see Rollins reused (actual light industrial building) and tucked up next to some tall, 555 Magnum style thing

Would not surprise me at all to see him ask for 30 here in exchange for giving up the streetā€™s parcel.

If you enable the floodplains layer on iMaps you will see this area of construction is within the 100 year floodplain. I hope Florence doesnā€™t create too many problems for Mr. Kane.

Same! Donā€™t kill my horizon any more than itā€™s already going to be! lol

1 Like

All of that area in phases 2 and 3 is currently zoned for up to 12 floors like phase 1. Even if he stayed to those limits, the potential for these three phases is huge. If he goes for a variance on some or all of the parcels, the potential is game changing, and Glenwood South will establish itself as a formidable force among the DT districts.

With the NIMBY in the room attending every variance meeting.

4 Likes

I could definitely see this turning into a more commercial area of downtown, with the publix there. I think this could be there area were you have your Orange Theory, Chronic Tacos/Moes/Starbucks, You urban Yoga, etc.

And that is not a bad thing. those things drive people DT, and create a highly dense area.

Iā€™d rather have my Finchā€™s, my Peace Camera, and my Southland Ballroom.

2 Likes

I know they are examples, but you picked a couple great chains to critique.
No chronic taco (just awful, portion are small and below average quality) and NO MORE Starbucks, enough, coffee is disgusting and beyond over priced, give me the local ma and paā€™s, or a dunkin, even caribou better than Starbucks, gosh, I canā€™t tell you how many people I know personally and professionally that dislike their coffee.

Local mom and paā€™s wonā€™t be able to fill out all the available retail space. I mean shit, even in hippy portland, the land of local stores, there are still places like these filling out the mixed use spaces, which is good. It keeps traffic going to those mom and pas.

@Phil, of course you would, but this is a growing city, and this section of town needs height and density.

2 Likes

Call it a kind of subsidy if you want but I think downtown is at a point where big boxes are needed to sustain the local shops. Iā€™ll take my Publix with a side of local coffee all day long.

10 Likes