Pictures and Videos of Downtown Raleigh

Nice pic. That may not be the money shot but it seems like a more true local perspective.

3 Likes

I agree. It feels more like Raleigh and is true to the experience of being in the city.

3 Likes

Smoky. :joy:

And I’ll take some shots from out this way. One thing I love about this video is the dawn/dusk lighting. Short/simple video but great composure!

4 Likes

Good point about the the lighting. And what I like about the drone shots you guys take is the higher perspective gives views we just can’t get on the ground. I like that this drone shot is high enough to get the US Federal Building, some of the State of NC buildings, SECU tower, Skyhouse and others that often don’t make it into the money shots from the ground.

4 Likes

I wonder how high the drone was in this shot. Isn’t doesn’t appear all that high off the ground, and it makes me wonder what the full experience of a pedestrian look-out tower would be like if one were placed in Fletcher Park.
Imagine if the condos in the Bishop’s Park area were redeveloped to have units above the tree line! Those would have fantastic views. As it is, there’s some nice Winter views from upper floor units that face the city.

4 Likes

A look-out tower at Fletcher would have an awesome view! The view out of Broughton’s tower is pretty darn fantastic, except for the writing and dirt on the windows, lol. A public viewing tower at Fletcher would provide a fabulous view, and give us an opportunity for a signature building for Raleigh a la they Effiel Tower or the proposed “Tulip Tower” for London.

2 Likes

Or maybe something smaller made of wood like this one that is going up in Denmark.

6 Likes

Did someone yell, “Fire” or “Jump”…thought there is that new structure in NY I think?

1 Like

That one in Denmark is spectacular!!! How cool would it be if we had something like this? Alas, the city would probably convert the entire Fred Fletcher Park into a parking lot to support it. :wink:

2 Likes

Another place were a lookout could be created is Devereux Meadows park when it’s restored. The views from there could also be quite special.

5 Likes

True, though Fletcher Park has almost 100’ of elevation over Devereaux.

2 Likes

John, we can start a GoFund or a trust to build something like this using donated money. Imagine having a permanent Raleigh feature with your name on it as a contributing member.

Something like this will cost over $600,000 ($1+ million for large, complex design) though even with donated land.

2 Likes

If only Wake County had a billionaire who made his fortune locally after being educated locally. Hmmmmm???

9 Likes

Heck, there’s 2 of em!

Then they can split the cost!

2 Likes

Been lurking long enough, time to actually contribute something. Here’s a pic of downtown from a few weeks ago. Shot from the Boylan bridge when a few trains were coming through.

29 Likes

Great shot, and welcome aboard. :+1:

2 Likes

Pun intended or not? (trains):wink:

2 Likes

Looking at this view, I’m reminded that the gap between Dillon and PNC will be filled in by the Nexus project. And soon-ish after that, Wells Fargo will be complete eclipsed by the RUSbus project! Some lament the changes to this particular view, whereas I love the clear, visible growth it displays.

4 Likes

Thanks :pray: Glad to be here. I’m on a few similar forums as well, but this is by far the best and most active for Raleigh development.

6 Likes