Police in Raleigh

FWIW-- they are currently hiring to fill the roles of a new ACORNS team (Addressing Crises through Outreach, Referrals, Networking, and Service) where police are paired with social workers. This will take some time to get the right people in place, but still encouraging that attempts are being made to make changes.

8 Likes

100% agreed. Unburden the police. They can’t be expected to be drug treatment counselors, marriage counselors, mental health professionals, or even crisis managers. We have pushed too many social ills onto law enforcement to handle.

12 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly. And now that they’re handling fewer services, I’m sure the police budget will be reduced in direct proportion to the services they’re no longer handling. claps hands together and whistles while walking away

1 Like

To say this less snarkily, yes I do agree that the police budget is way over bloated and that even a small fraction could be reduced and spread to other social programs and services that the police no longer need to (read: Never needed to) handle.

4 Likes

I listened to the townhall held for all three police chief candidates and Ms. Patterson was by far the most impressive of the group. doesn’t surprise me one bit that she was chosen. Best of luck to her.

Generally, I think the RPD is a great Department. Corruption or misbehaving cops are almost unheard of in Raleigh. Commit a violent crime in Raleigh and you will get caught 9 times out of 10. RPD detectives don’t play around. can’t say the same about Durham. And Raleigh has double the population. But there have been a few instances were the RPD have mishandled cases involving people who were mentally ill or unstable. so i’m all for allocating more funds in this area for more qualified pros.

13 Likes

Reposting what @Christopher brought up in the local news thread:

You can also listen to the N&O’s excerpts of Patterson’s inaugural speech, where she does a really good job at outlining how to do better on a wide range of things from staff shortages to community partnerships (and some good jokes along the way).

3 Likes

It’s at the Justice Center, so putting it here:

6 Likes

We actually walked by this this morning. I guess they’re adding an entrance.

The existing clerestory has historically had weather penetration problems. I’m sure there’s more to the renovation, but that leaking problem is a major factor in the work.

6 Likes

Updated “progress”

13 Likes

Why are the numbers different for “Top Crime Data” and “Total Yearly Incidence” The numbers vary for the same years?

An additional factor for increase in crime reported is that foot traffic and food and beverage sales in Glenwood South are 150% of prepandemic amounts. More people creates situation for more crime.

1 Like

The first table/chart is Top Crime categories, Year-to-date. This is updated nightly.

The second table/chart shows the totals for an entire year which is why 2022 isn’t there. (we haven’t finished the year)

And the last table/chart shows the entire dataset for this area.

From Jan 1 to Dec 31 2019, there were 211 assaults.
From Jan 1 to April 6 2019, there were 53 assaults.

Probably going to do a blog post on crime in Glenwood South so dropping this here to share. This is the report from RPD from this weeks council meeting.

3 Likes

I found this interesting article from Steetsblog:

Obviously, Raleigh’s not in a position that’s this financially dire. But even then, it could stand to benefit from a lot of the big recommendations that this article makes.

2 Likes

There were two shootings downtown in less than a week with shots fired into a car yesterday on Person Street and the shooting next to Transfer Co a few days ago. Both occurred during the higher foot and car traffic hours of the early evening.

While homicides are trending down slightly from the recent peak in 2022, our homicide rate is still tracking to be higher than all other recent years. In addition, assaults are close to flat with 2022.

Overall crime in the Raleigh area is trending slightly down, but crime in downtown localities is up, like in Moore Square where incidents are up 81%. With violent crime remaining high, and criminal activity in general increasing in key downtown areas, I think it will be difficult to fully reverse many of the negative covid-induced trends.

Less formally, I’ve heard several families say they no longer like to play in Moore Square after a visit to the Marbles Museum, and don’t venture downtown as frequently as before. As the Union Special owner highlighted in the ABC11 interview, it will be difficult to attract and keep lessees when people feel this way.

As for how to fix it, I’ve seen reports like this DOJ brief but don’t personally have any experience in the matter. Perhaps a vote to increase police funding would help? I’ve read that they’re having trouble getting to fully-staffed status.

Just got back from my morning walk around this area, and I’m seeing a higher police presence today. Wondering if the shooting yesterday might have been the final straw for the RPD.

1 Like

Good. A well-run, visible police force is part of a healthy urban community.

10 Likes

We’ll definitely see. I’ve lived in the area for about 2 years, and oftentimes when there are incidents, there is a temporarily increased police force. This one feels different though. Yesterday, the Moore Square area was completely flooded with police officers after the gun went off (right near the Middle School).

It also comes almost immediately after some recent news and media commentary on increased crime in the area. Including some comments from the mayor.

It does feel a bit different this time. We’ll see if that presence remains. Considering the city’s investment in Moore Square, as well as the fact that this area borders a children’s museum and a middle school, I can’t see the city happy with an 81% increased rate of crime and two gun incidents recently happening in the area.