Prince Hall Historic District

I predict that with plenty of empty lots within the Prince Hall Historic District, as well as plots that border downtown mixed-use properties, we’ll be hearing about this district again and again.

Here’s a quick primer and map.

2 Likes

First bit of news is the Rogers House that moved from West Street to Cabarrus and Bloodworth. They are building the foundation now and it’ll be fun to watch this house make a comeback. It’s a great fit for that historic district.

1 Like

What ever came of the hotel proposed at Wilmington and Lenoir? I believe it was sited within the District.

1 Like

Beware of NIMBYs. The absolute “no” narrative is never productive.

1 Like

I’m so glad to see this house saved. I really like the idea of creating districts with capacity to collect the homes that would otherwise be lost. It would be a win/win. We can free up land for more dense development while preserving our limited historic fabric.
Is this house still going to be part of that new living project that Matt T. wants to do?

1 Like

I believe so. I actually have a to-do to catch up with him, may write about what he’s got going on on Bloodworth with this house and Guest House.

I think the co-living proposal required saving both homes. And thought that I read that he’s just renovating and selling this one now.

Was the bigger house that couldn’t be saved structurally unsound for transport?

To the best of my knowledge (from conversations on Twitter) it’s a combination of things, maybe. If the council moved faster (Nov 2017 vs. March 2018) it’s possible that it could have been saved. I believe there was some paperwork that didn’t get finished in time. I also saw a comment about the land not being ready in time.

Yes, another person said the house was in poor shape and some though it wouldn’t survive the move. I blame the system, the process wasn’t built for things to move fast enough but maybe I’m wrong.

4 Likes

The Rogers House looks pretty nice these days. The folks behind nearby Guest House Raleigh teased that “Rogers Cottage” will be some kind of side thing affiliated with the boutique hotel.

5 Likes

Wow. It sure does look great!

Checked out the Guest House on the map and look what I found. Definitely looks to be connected with it in some way.

1 Like

I have 5 family members coming to town in a couple months and they rented this entire house for their trip.

5 Likes

Loading Dock creating new co-working option in Raleigh’s Prince Hall District

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article234686572.html

Toole Design will be their first client.

4 Likes

This is pretty cool. I live on E. Lenoir and walk by this place all the time and just assumed it was going to be turned into apartments. This is a great re-use for the building.

1 Like

Half of the block along Bloodworth is seeking a rezoning. Keeping it three stories but the rationale behind the zoning change request is that they are asking to “allow for a revitalization of a currently underutilized residential area. The project seeks to increase housing density in a transitional area of Downtown.”

They also don’t consider the Pope House to be a historically significant structure in this request.

IMO, three stories seems a little short-sighted.

3 Likes

Half the block, right?

1 Like

You’re right. The alleyway threw me off.

There’s no alleyway there, I’m looking at the wrong block entirely.

I believe this is the rezoning request TBJ picked up on a couple weeks ago.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/09/29/raleigh-attorney-dives-into-real-estate.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

“Plans currently call for about 10 three-story townhomes, each complete with a garage and rooftop deck space. Lawson said he expects the homes to be priced in the $700,000 to $800,000 range. Unit sizes are expected to be in the 1,600- to 1,800-square-foot range.”

I guess they also own the individual property that extends to S. East St. to allow for that rear access driveway?

1 Like

So the existing zoning is OX-3-DE, NX-3-DE-CU & R-10
But… the requested zoning is RX-3-UL

Does this not mean that they’re asking for it all to be 3 stories? I’m not super familiar with how zoning works.