Prince Hall Historic District

UL is urban limited which is think means more generous (smaller) setbacks.

1 Like

So, I’m a dummy. I thought this was the Pope House block, hence my posting it in that thread. Disregard my comments about… well… pretty much everything. :man_facepalming: :clown_face:

1 Like

I believe the city of Raleigh owns all the empty lots on the East Street side of that block. There were no plans for an East Street drive to those townhouses.

10 townhome project at the corner of S Bloodworth and E Cabarrus is recommended for approval by the RHDC with the condition that three of the historic houses are offered up for free [edit: to be listed for 15 days] if someone wants to pay to move them. (501, 507, and 511 S Bloodworth)

4 Likes

City owns a lot of property nearby if they were interested or serious about it. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Would be cool if there was a density bonus for accepting a historic house like this. I would love to see a cottage court that was a bunch of older historic homes moved into place.

3 Likes

Awesome idea! Could add in the 412 N Wilmington House (for sale by the State for $100k to be moved)

4 Likes

I wonder how much it costs to move it.

:derelict_house:

2 Likes

Also, how far can it actually be moved? If it can’t go far due to underpasses on roads, etc., then land prices will likely be astronomical for it. It’s gonna take someone with deep pockets to step up to the plate.

1 Like

I love this idea. They wouldn’t need to be moved very far.

1 Like

I downloaded that pdf. The deal got updated.
Now, for $725,000, you get the house + 0.33 acre vacant lot at 425 N. Blount st.
Buyer is still responsible for the moving costs.
It’s in the same block. Just have to go through a parking lot :smiley:.

4 Likes

Looked it up on zillow. It’s a big house: over 3600 ft2.

Probably $30k if I had to guess, not including building the foundation on the new site to accept the house upon moving

lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$

1 Like

I’m curious if someone can help explain this to me further. The 10 townhouse project being proposed at the intersection of Bloodworth and Cabbarrus St. which was originally denied by the Planning Commission has now gained approval from the Raleigh Historic Development Commission? Do they have supersede the Planning Commissions denials and recommendations?

Planning Commission reason for denial :
“Denial of the request is reasonable and in the public interest because the request would have detrimental impacts to a historically Black community, and would facilitate the replacement of naturally recurring affordable housing with housing that is incompatible with incomes in the neighborhood”

Now here are the conditions they were able to gain approval from the RHDC:
“Proposed conditions limit the permissible siding materials; require documentation of three of the homes with photography; require advertising that the three homes are available for donation to anyone who is willing to incur all the expense of moving them; and if the three homes are not moved, allowing the removal any items of historical significance”

Let’s be honest, no Third party agent is going to pay for the removal of these homes, and will probably get demolished. Just makes you question why they make the developer go through this process?

2 Likes

The PC (Planning Commission) reviews rezoning applications and then makes a recommendation to the CC (City Council) on whether to approve or deny. Their recommendation is something that the CC takes into account when they vote, but it isn’t binding, and the CC vote is when the actual decision is made.

I imagine the developer is hoping that the CC will still approve it despite the PC’s recommendation to deny the rezoning. That’s what happened with the Downtown South rezoning, for example; the PC voted unanimously to recommend that the CC deny the rezoning, but the CC instead voted to approve the rezoning soon after.

9 Likes

So, in effect, the planning commission is Raleigh’s virtue signaling face?

1 Like

virtue signaling face or farce? :grin:

1 Like

Well, lots of virtue signaling is a farce already, so that’s sort of redundant

1 Like

If these meetings are done online, does that make the PC virtual virtue signaling?

1 Like