Public Art in Raleigh

RUS might actually be a terrific place to relocate Light+Time.
Since the artist tragically died mid-commission of this piece, I’ve long wondered if the tower and its panels fully capture what he intended. With all of the glass panels positioned at the same angle, there’s not much variety in the way that it’s experienced. When you look at the tower, it certainly appears that each panel has a hinged attachment to the tower. If those panels were purposely positioned to be different from each other, instead of all basically the same, wouldn’t the experience of viewing it be more animated with a greater variety of light defraction?

2 Likes

I’m not a huge “art” fan personally, but I am all for highlighting local(ish) artists. Would it make sense to get a whirlygig or two from the artist in Wilson and place them in strategic parts of the City as Public Art Installations? They had one at the NCMA for a while, but it has been taken down.

And let’s not forget the Barrel Monster. THAT was a sculpture that I actually liked :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is a whirlygig next to Skyhouse! Would love more scattered around the city.

6 Likes

Really? I’ve never noticed it. I will have to check it out this weekend. :+1:

1 Like

That whirlygig was on that lot before they built the Skyhouse. It has been there since I started working downtown about 18 years ago.

3 Likes

I found it on Google Street view… looks like it is behind a tree on the sidewalk, probably why I never noticed it before.

1 Like

I love whirlygig’s. That would be an awesome addition someplace downtown.
I’ve never seen the one next to skyhouse. I’ll have to make a point of seeking it out next time I am town.

1 Like

It used to be right here (marked in red). This aerial is from 1999.

8 Likes

Oh man. I forgot about this. I think I have pictures of them. Will look for them later.

3 Likes

The middle of the drop off circle at RUS is intended to host public art. The Light+Time tower could be cool there.

The canopy in the plaza was designed as an armature for public art - that piece is currently in design.

1 Like

Just got this email back:

Hi Dean!

I got a response from staff on the topic of the Light + Time Tower, and I promptly forgot to forward it to you…please forgive me.

Stacy Bloom Rexrode wants you to know the following:

This is actually timely because we are looking in to relocating the Time + Light Tower. One of the issues we have dealt with in its current location is the matured growth of the surrounding trees. We do have them pruned regularly, however they can not be pruned back any further without damaging or impacting the healthy growth of the trees. The plantings matured beyond the original plan for when the tower was installed and therefore we are currently considering other locations.

Raleigh Arts performs regularly scheduled maintenance on all of the public artworks in the Municipal Art Collection. In addition to the normal maintenance, the Time + Light Tower will undergo restorative conservation efforts when it is relocated.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks again for your concern.

I responded back about our vote to have it in the circle drive at RGH/RUS.

11 Likes

New mural outside of Poolside Pies.

10 Likes

Beautiful! Thank you for the posting! :+1:t2:
Are those names/signatures on the roots?
Also, forgive the ignorance, #toosmalltofail…?

I believe the roots have names of local restaurants.

Too small to fail is a play on too big to fail. I think it is signaling hope that small businesses (here restaurants) will garner support and survive this crisis. Unfortunately i think some of those named restaurants have already closed permanently, but let’s hope most of them survive.

5 Likes

This thread should be popping soon as all that plywood turns downtown into a canvas. Let’s see your favorites as artists start to fill them in. :smiley:

5 Likes

I know you saw this already, but sharing the first one here:

11 Likes

Can’t wait for taggers to mess that up, though.

11 Likes

11 Likes

The street is a canvas, too:

5 Likes