Public Art in Raleigh

Move Dale Elred’s Light+Time Tower from its spot on Capital Boulevard. One can barely make it out any more where it’s at. Just to piss off Tom Fetzer

8 Likes

I have been thinking that tower would be nice at the Wade Avenue interchange.

1 Like

It’s a nice piece of public art. It’s a pity he died rescuing his work in a Kansas City flood with his widow finishing our commission.

Dale Eldred - Wikipedia

3 Likes

I honestly wish it was in a more prominent location along Capital. It’s a good part of Raleigh lore.

2 Likes

Light+Time needs to be positioned so that it’s appreciated. It needs to be seen from the east in the morning, the south midday, and west in the afternoon.

1 Like

Don’t think I have ever noticed this before. Where on Capital is this?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2e/Light-Plus-Time-Tower-Raleigh-NC-20081012.jpeg/640px-Light-Plus-Time-Tower-Raleigh-NC-20081012.jpeg

Looks kind of like a cell tower. So maybe I’ve driven past it think that’s what it was.

3 Likes

Ha, you just summed up the greatest criticism of this art. The fancy cell phone tower!
Someone else can confirm this, but it was on Cap Blvd, just north of the Wade Ave overpass.

2 Likes

Yeah I drive by there enough I’m surprised I haven’t noticed it.

Yup, its easy to miss, unless somehow the light is reflecting right into your eyes.

1 Like

It also doesn’t seem to be as reflective and iridescent as it used to be, either. (Just drove past it.)

1 Like

It needs a clean up / shine…any takers?

Put a reflective piece of art in the median of a heavily used road- who could guess it would get dirty? :nerd_face:

1 Like

I’m wondering if there’s been some breakdown of the material that does all of the color change. That’s over twenty years of solar energy doing its thing. May need a full restoration.

3 Likes

This is the first city council in a long time that might be willing to do that. I just remain unconvinced that this is the right location for it. There is room for public art on highways, but this just doesn’t seem to be it for me. For example just before the 40-Wade split. As you are coming in from the airport into town, some big & simple. In mind a big obelisk that said PAX or WELCOME. Or the big fountain when Cap Blv spits into McDowell/Dawson!

3 Likes

It’s also quite overgrown. Some pruning is in order, too. (And, it’s north of the Fairview ramp/embankment)

3 Likes

Also we still need some iconic art around the new train station. :art:

2 Likes

@dtraleigh I’ve probably diverted this thread unintentionally. Is there a downtown public art thread where these could go?

3 Likes

No but great idea! One sec.

3 Likes

So maybe the Time & Light tower would be better in the RUS plaza.

Well, I’m not sure if relocation is possible without some modification. He was fairly precise in his alignments of the panels, and the effect was best appreciated at certain times of the day.

His widow, Roberta Long, is also an artist, so I’ve not been able to tell if she’s involved in any restoration work.

I did reach out to the current chair of the Raleigh Arts Commission about its current state. The work may ultimately require relocation if the Capital Boulevard plan ever comes to fruition.

1 Like