Public Art in Raleigh

:rofl: Protesters = CAM and Raleigh Denim

10 Likes

13 Likes

The women in charge of this wanted it to be on the street leading up to the “confederate dead” monument at the capital but the city didn’t approve

1 Like

Now, to have that on Hillsborough Street as a response to the unanswered cannons of the Confederate monument would have been an interesting juxtaposition.

8 Likes

Those monuments need to come down. Previously I was all in on the compromise to move them to a museum property, but now I just want them gone.

11 Likes

15 Likes

3 Likes

Yup. I also want them gone. I openly admit my bias as a northern born liberal, but the idea of statues commemorating what I consider to be traitors who fought their own country for the right to own other people is disgusting. I’m sure my ancestors did terrible things too, but I’m not going to put up a statue to honor them. Also, I don’t need a bunch of responses enlightening me. I’ve heard them all before and I get there’s multiple sides to this. I’m just sharing my opinion. But to the main point, there is indeed a state law about this. Hopefully the people protesting them will actually show up and vote for people to overturn it.

13 Likes

15 Likes

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I hope the plywood can come down soon. Downtown is dead enough with covid restrictions.

7 Likes

On the other hand, we’re well prepared for hurricane season!

13 Likes

They are still open, saw people getting take out from there last night. And it’s not as much the restrictions as it is most people avoiding crowded places no matter what. Businesses in GA are reporting the lifted restrictions haven’t really brought people back like some expected.

1 Like

This is the truth. We love our local businesses but have no plans to eat inside a restaurant until the virus is more under control, and that won’t happen unless the general public is willing to do what has to be done (which many don’t seem to be). We will continue to support by ordering takeout.

If people really care that much about the economy and small business, they’ll follow recommendations of epidemiologists and the CDC to reduce the spread of the virus. Otherwise, we’re just going to be in a cycle of imposing/removing restrictions until a vaccine is widely available.

Economic Perspective: The Impact of Fear On the Recovery

4 Likes

I have no problem eating out. But even those who do takeout only may not realize the downtown restaurants are open. A certain vibrancy is still needed regardless.

3 Likes

Yes I have been eating out since they removed the restrictions. I ate inside the Flying Mayan yesterday and El Rodeo and Manhattan Cafe last week. Wait staff and others wearing masks and social distancing for the tables. I feel completely comfortable eating indoors. Just wash hands thoroughly right afterwards. . It’s all good!

5 Likes

I really love this new water feature downtown. Oh wait…

14 Likes

Pictures I took earlier on today

10 Likes
6 Likes

I live next to that one. The number of people that walk by and say “they spelled it wrong” is laughable.

So much for a functioning business. Those guys lost a lot of money.