Public Art in Raleigh

:pray:t3:

18 Likes

We did the illuminate art wall tonight.
https://downtownraleigh.org/illuminate
Pics in no particular order.
More info on my Twitter thread.

In could have swore this said “FIND UR PURPOSE” but seems like it’s “ON”, not “UR”…

25 Likes

I don’t have a picture but the metal artwork for the new Peace Street bridge is starting to be installed. Lights were off last night and one small piece was up.

6 Likes

Boy we are really desperate for art downtown, could be so much better than this garbage. Then again, art is in the eye of the beholder and it’s a site to behold.

Looking good so far

17 Likes

It’s pretty bad when one sees and art installation and doesn’t even know it’s art. I (and many others judging from google) thought our stupid monstrosity was a cell phone tower. Who knew/ Well now I’m “enlightened.” :face_vomiting:
I’d rather have the blue mustang from Denver Airport and it’s glowing red devil eyes; at least you’d see it and know it’s art and not a utility tower.

1 Like

In regards to the Light+Time Tower, I do agree that it looks very much like a cell-tower. And admittedly, I am also not a fan of most “modern” art structures. However, about a year after it was installed on Capital, I was driving to DTR and happened to be there at the right time with the right light hitting at the right place, and WOW it was beautiful! :star_struck:

3 Likes

The motorcycle cop who gave me my first speeding ticket back in college was parked right at the Light and Time tower behind the ramp to Fairview Road. Since that day, I’ve never had any pleasant thoughts about the stupid thing. :oncoming_police_car:

2 Likes

I mean I get that in the 90’s when this thing was built, it didn’t look like something so ugly and ubiquitous now; but just seeing it for the first time, it looks like a cell tower on a shrunk-down forest fire ranger lookout tower, like we were too cheap to build a modern one.

I enjoy modern sculpture, but first you have to realize it’s art, and nothing about where this is located or what it looks like makes that evident. It’s a miss for me.

1 Like

Thanks for posting! Agreed it looks good so far. I look forward to seeing it lit up at night once it is fully installed.

1 Like

Yay! Finally! It took less time to develop a vaccine that uses new technology, do clinical trials, get it approved, and start distribution than to put metal on a bridge that’s been planned and under construction for several years. Just saying…

1 Like

The light and time tower was a specific installation for Capital Blvd which at the time was industrial/warehouse and was undergoing some streetscaping. Deconstructed art was popular at that time and I think the idea was for it to look like a functional metal tower that had this ability to change colors with the movement of the sun. It was never meant to be a Roman sculpture. In hindsight it caused such a fuss that Raleigh has never been able to place public art again and that is truly a shame. I will never understand why people can’t just move on and get over it.

10 Likes

We need more murals on the sides of buildings, especially old buildings

4 Likes

Need a Marty Kotis from Greensboro. That developer hires world famous street artists for the sides of a lot of his buildings. You should make a trip to Greensboro and see some of the murals. Incredible.

6 Likes
9 Likes

I meant to try this effect when this was installed at RUS but forgot to.

13 Likes

Not sure if this has been posted but the DRA has a nice map of public art downtown.

https://downtownraleigh.org/explore/public-art

8 Likes

Outside Union Station

24 Likes

New mural on 429 S. Wilmington St (Directly across from BofA tower). Seems to be an installation by the Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance and describe by their twitter post as :
“Greater Raleigh is the first destination in the US to celebrate the culture of gaming and lifestyle of esports through a permanent art installation. This mural, located in the heart of downtown Raleigh, showcases our love and commitment to the future of gaming and esports.”

13 Likes

Shouldn’t an eGaming mural have been put closer to the convention center since that is where the event(s) will be held? How many of the attendees will ever see this mural several blocks away from where the event will be held? #Location, Location, Location!

2 Likes