Rail Line to Fuquay-Varina

Rough overlay

3 Likes

Got it. So, not quite apropos to our little idea. Thanks.

1 Like

Call it the Rocky Branch Railroad.

Odd thing is, I can’t figure out what it was supposed to do. Unless it was to bypass downtown Raleigh on the south. But, there would have been small wyes in either end.

Threading the needle another way…

That leaves a greenway access much further south than some of the others while preserving a bridge across I-40 and Western Boulevard.

6 Likes

Although, the cheapest answer is that NS abandons the little bit of the original Norfolk Southern Railway from Southern Junction to Varina or Cumnock while keeping control of NS Glenwood Yard.

Then, they sell the VF branch to the same short line operator that just bought Carolina Coastal Railway. (Or, a sale to Aberdeen, Carolina, and Western Railway [ACWR] which owns/operates the western fragment of the original NS.)

Oooooh I like that!!

1 Like

yep! :slight_smile: That’s what I’m starting to understand as well.

The important thing to understand is that there are freight customers to the south of Raleigh on to Fayetteville which need freight line access to the rest of the world, however that may be. NS’ primary priority is to them. So, any decision has to keep them happy.

right… that’s why the bypass from the H line under Hammond Road back to the NS Line needs to be built. Otherwise, how will Norfolk Southern service their customers on the NS line. The bit @orulz mentioned about Kane’s role in this is new to me. So, there are a lot of players. NCRR would also have to get on board, right?

Thanks Brian! I look forward to hearing what they have to say.

The bypass may not be needed if the world access for the VF branch transitions to CSX’s A-Line in Fayetteville. Then, their freight would interchange with CSX Hamlet Yard or the new CSX Carolina Connector being built right now in Rocky Mount.

You lost me there. Is it not true that Norfolk Southern has customers on the NS line?

Yup. But, those NS customers can be transitioned to CSX customers because the VF branch also connects to the CSX A-Line in Fayetteville.

Or, (more likely) they become customers of the new short line operator.

ok dumb question (and just trying to understand): Is it common for railroad companies to give each other customers? I would think Norfolk Southern would want to keep their customers.

If NS sees it to be in their own financial best interests to sell the line, they will. Then, those customers have a new freight carrier to work with.

It’s not something which happens quickly. And, there has to be an FRA ruling on the transfer as well.

1 Like

or are you saying… its a strategic thing? Those customers are not worth that much and would reduce costs (or there’s some overall benefit) to Norfolk Southern.

Yup. It can happen. And, it has, elsewhere.

So, to sum-up… The stakeholders are:

Norfolk Southern
Kane Realty/Construction
City of Raleigh
Carolina Pines Neighborhood
Federal Railroad Administration

and possibly:
Walmart (Sam’s Club)
a handful of other businesses

and Go Triangle Transit.