Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

That’s an interesting idea, and I would imagine they are scrambling for a new concept at this point. The only brands I think they can plug and play with that design/upscale rep and footprint/parking are 1) Target (so that means Target would probably move from Crossroads Plaza, which I guess is possible but unlikely), or 2) Costco (though describing Costco as “upscale” is likely a stretch even if they’re considered the Target of membership clubs). They’ll need to do some kind of site plan re-design, I’d imagine.

2 Likes

All I can say is that there’s some good to come of not having Wegman’s. Their neo-colonial Disneyesque facades are horrendous, and now Fenton won’t have to put up with that design garbage in their overall project.

5 Likes

It’s literally adjacent to the WakeMed Soccer fields and trails…

You’re doing it backwards. You gotta go get a nice buzz at Dram and Draught and then do the drunk munchies grocery shopping. Um and then drive home? I haven’t thought this out…

6 Likes

What really makes no sense to me is that Ikea would print money with all the colleges in the Triangle. Whoever is doing their feasibility studies is a total idiot

6 Likes

can’t make $ from open space

2 Likes

people been living downtown for decades with no grocery store…just drive.
of course NOW there’s a publix, but it has been livable for folks in DTR for ages without a Harris Teeter or Piggly Wiggly

Hey, maybe that’s the plan: a new high concept Piggly “Bougie” Wiggly at Fenton

For whoever asked about the site work and making it into “open space”…someone previously posted a pic (reposted here ) of the current state of construction. It’s a little late for a park or open space, and like I said, they need tenant LEASES to make $, not wasted green space that could be green cash. I assume like North Hills that there are places here and there for gathering, but not the size of 1/2 or full size of a freaking Wegmans

prob not enough space to turn it into Cary’s 2nd soccer stadium and make $ to go with the one 1/2 mile north thru the woods :rofl:

You know what? The fact that no construction had started on that Wegmans plot yet, but everything else is building, makes me think the developers have known for a LONG while they weren’t going to get Wegmans.

10 Likes

It would be ironic, but the small format IKEA (115k) is about the size of this Wegmans (120k).

When Cinebistro exited, they quickly added Paragon Theaters quickly. I’m hoping they can do it again with a grocery or large retail (Target). I did like the food hall idea, too!

1 Like

Does Fortnite have an input for opinions on its new HQ?

I doubt it since it probably won’t be a public building

Looking at that picture, it looks like it would literally be easier to make it a park than a building. Just my $0.02.

The fact that they have pushed back demo of CTC to the Fall makes me think they have abandoned both the “Carolina Yards” and “Old HQ plans near Crossroads” plans.

While I hoped they would just take all of the office component of the “Carolina Yards” proposal, the inclusion of some retail elements (Dave & Busters) and the Cary Sports Complex makes me think there will ultimately be some type of mixed-use compromise plan.

4 Likes

You’re probably right. They’re even working on the Wegmans-adjacent parking deck. Leads me to believe they’re probably closer to having a tenant lined up than we think. Hope so, at least.

1 Like

It’s actually never too late for some open space. For quite some time, Miami’s Midtown development has been sitting on some open space that was slated for development that hasn’t yet happened.

3 Likes

That’s a nice plot of land in Miami to have open. Wegman’s looks like if left open, it’d be some leftover parcel in back, not a promenade kind of thing like the pic you showed. Hopefully the Fenton developers have a rabbit or two they can pull out of the hat.

Losing Cinebistro is too bad. They started out that version of CMX theaters as a pretty limited presence in almost 100% upscale places…Vail, Doral, and then Cary (Waverly) of all places (Waverly is turning into a really decent food destination…Chicken Salad Chick anyone? Shake Shack :+1:t2:). By the time they added suburban Richmond LOL, then they’d begun adding quite a bit of other less-bougie locations, and now Vail has gone out of business due to COVID. Maybe the replacement theater will be just fine though; they are trying.

1 Like

Does anyone know anything about the replacement movie theater they got? I’ve never heard of it.

There’s a 0.80-acre green (err, “community gathering area #2”) in front of the movie theater, and the six “community gathering areas” within the developed footprint combined will be 1.8 acres.
There’s probably 15 acres of “open space” on the site, mostly a Walnut Creek greenway arcing across the entire site.
There’s a 150-acre park just north, with dozens of soccer fields.

Cities need buildings and people more than they need parks. This place is swimming in parks and open space; it needs to be swimming in people instead.

6 Likes

I’d like to see us convert Dawson and McDowell to streets like this one. Max 5mph and VERY walkable. Not scary.

2 Likes

That particular area is more North Hills than downtown. Like North Hills’ nickname, the development is actually named Midtown.

2 Likes

That’s not a bad idea - a swimming pool or open space with some kind of water feature!
Surrounded by shops and/or townhomes at the perimeter.