Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Just a comment but Midtown is the area North Hills is in and that’s why it’s referred to as “Midtown” because Crabtree and the Wegmans area is also Midtown. The term intertwines all of these areas since they are close together and will be connected eventually.

I’m sorry, but I’ll never call the North Hills area “midtown”
North Hills area, the whole area near the Beltline at 6 Forks, will always be “North Hills” to me. I’m probably not the only one who thinks that. Kane’s development has taken over any momentum of a contrived “midtown” identity.

8 Likes

Agree. I would never say I live in Midtown!

3 Likes

I always joke “Midtown?? If North Hills is midtown, where’s Uptown? Wake Forest???”

2 Likes

it’s in Charlotte! lol

6 Likes

Downtown South :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Years ago I was planning to meet a coworker for lunch on a day off. She was newish to the area, so I asked her what area she was thinking and maybe I’d come up with a restaurant nearby. She said she lives near Midtown and somewhere over there. I guffawed and said sure, how about Tavern on the Green. She didn’t laugh, and I didn’t understand. We narrowed it down to streets and I realized she was talking about North Hills. It was still probably a few good months before I realized there was a concerted effort to rebrand the area. I don’t like it and don’t use it, but it doesn’t bother my ear as much when someone else does it.

3 Likes

Or Greenville!

In all seriousness, though, it really doesn’t make much sense in the context of Raleigh. Manhattan, sure, but if we’re going by geography you might as well call Downtown Raleigh “Midtown,” Downtown South “Downtown,” and North Hills/Midtown “Uptown.” It’s just a silly piece of branding, and I agree that it might take awhile to catch on.

5 Likes

Agreed. But what do we call Wake Forest?

2 Likes

Virginia? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I consider Midtown the general area from about Costco / Wegmans up through N Hills. It is not specific to North Hills.

2 Likes

@RobertSanderlin – Wake Forest :innocent:. Though @Nickster is pretty close, Virginia also works, lol
@Kanatenah, mid-town to me was always Peace St between St Mary’s & Cap Blvd, lol.

2 Likes

Costco part of 6 forks to me is just “the floodplain” lol
kind of in the armpit of capitol blvd/440
North Hills is just North Hills

I just don’t get the pretentiousness of trying to “brand” north hills area as “midtown.”
We’re not Atlanta and many of us don’t want to be either. Even Atlanta gets in on the Alphabet soup with “SoNo”. Raleigh: please make it stop! LOL

much prefer authentic organic natural names like Mordecai or Cameron Village or Five Points over “midtown”

6 Likes

I think the midtown brand is less about pretentiousness and more about developers wanting a brand that doesn’t explicitly refer to their competitor.

“North Hills” is basically the name for Kane’s developments.

“Midtown” is an entire part of the city.

5 Likes

No Atlanta slander! lol jk trust me, you don’t want to be Atlanta - it’s great but has a lot of problems Raleigh doesn’t.
And SONO really is just on a couple of signs, nobody really actually uses it.

2 Likes

It seems more an attempt to denote an area than any one center / development and I suppose that’s fine…To me, it gets into the pretentious zone once you add the ‘E’ - like grille or midtowne :laughing:

2 Likes

A coworker from Canada came to a Raleigh for a work trip 2 years ago and told me he was at a hotel in Midtown. So, I was like, “oh cool, did you walk over to the area with the Theater & Target or eat at Chuy’s?” He said he didn’t see any of that around him, but there was a Trader Joes across the street. I felt bad for him being lured into the Courtyard by Marriott on Wake Forest Rd by them calling it “Raleigh Midtown”.

That is my calling places in Raleigh Midtown story.

9 Likes

Ah, also Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Midtown. That location is just sad unless you really love grocery shopping on your business trip.

4 Likes

Back when we travelled and had people coming to Raleigh, they’d often have to stay up there (across from Trader Joes in “Midtown”) due to the downtown hotels being booked. Not sure I ever caught one of them trying to use fancy terms like midtown.

3 Likes

Atlanta and Charlotte are smaller cities than Manhattan… Miami has a midtown and has a smaller population than Raleigh so… but I digress