Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

That’d be nice but let’s not kid ourselves :frowning:

All that costs money and with any improvements and with the area they can command pretty much any amount unfortunately.

Unless the city themselves acquires them and dedicates a portion to affordable housing!

This complex is pretty run down, and is prime for redevelopment. But I agree that this will be a sensitive one with affordable housing, and unlike the downtown south proposal, this would actually displace a bunch of residents.

4 Likes

This entire plot needs to be bought and used for new affordable housing units.

2 Likes

A few buildings like this would be modern and dense enough for this area. This is an affordable housing building in the Bronx.

12 Likes

Just have to have the right buyer! The realist in me just thinks with the proximity to North Hills and Midtown Exchange developers will just raze and squeeze as much money out as they can.

2 Likes

The city should buy this lot and do this because if anyone else does this will definitely not happen.

they where built very cheap. Looked shabby in early 1070’s when some collage friends lived there. I’m hopping they have been updated since then, with more than just paint. But not much to work with for a move upscale. I think minimum could happen is demo and rebuilt with 4-5 story or higher apartments or turned into extension of Mid-town type development.

1 Like

Grading underway at Midtown Exchange

12 Likes

I have a lot of opinions about that complex. I lived there a few years ago (moved in site unseen from up north), and I cried for several days after moving in haha. They were updated with paint, new carpet, and new windows, but that’s it. They were terribly managed and honestly one of the most unsafe places I’ve ever lived. They were affordable back then (about $600 for a two bedrooms so we saved for a house), but the property owners are the definitions of a slumlord.

4 Likes

I thought they had been updated. I worked inside them before the updates. I wondered what the extend of the updates were

Rebuild and make affordable, come on city put up some bucks and partner with a developer.

2 Likes

If Midtown East and Kane’s NHE don’t integrate at all with each other, it will only prove that neither developer is interested in growing a contiguous urban experience.

6 Likes

They’re probably interested in making money for their investors, which is fine and expected. But I share your hope that they will connect everything with the idea that a rising tide lifts all boats.

5 Likes

Unless- and hear me out- the residential building he puts there also has a giant, poorly covered parking deck base with the actual building slapped on top of it. I know, it’s a stretch, but I think it’s a possibility :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Neither developer actually caring about the contiguous urban experience of the city as a whole and only caring about the highest amount of money they can squeeze out of their own parcels and only their own parcels, other developments be damned? Noooooooo, no way. Couldn’t possibly be. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The difference between the overall “parcel” north of 440, and between Six Forks & Wake Forest, and city blocks downtown (or anywhere else that’s gridded or quasi-gridded) is that the former doesn’t have a natural framework within which to engage its neighbors. St. Albans is the only natural “connector”, yet the homes along it largely have their backs to it. Other than what happens within each development, there’s nothing about the overall context that says “walk here”. Is what’s being built better than some suburban strip centers? Certainly. I’m just saying that these developments won’t relate to their context in the same way that similarly scaled projects would downtown. Heck, even North Hills (west) relates to its context better with the neighborhood across Lassiter Mill engaging it in a more meaningful way.

3 Likes

In the original renders, there are buildings where this parking lot is. I suppose it will be easy enough to build them later depending on demand.

8 Likes

Somewhere I saw more detailed plans which gave some idea of the area between the two, but I can’t find them. IIRC, it was a buffer of trees, stream and greenway. I would assume there will be some sort of ped connectivity though.

2 Likes

I think I posted this somewhere upthread. North is down. Looks like each of the developments backs up to the other - not really much integration.

9 Likes

If they just make it a kind of stream-side park between the two areas, it will at least feel integrated enough. Much better than if it was just a road with the backs of all the buildings in both developments facing either side.

4 Likes