Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Hi everyone,
These pics are about a week or so old. Walter Tower is really starting to make an impact on the skyline. I included some pics of the old JC Penny before it goes away forever. Fun useless fact: Some local firefighters were able to use the old building for a rare training opportunity. Buildings like this don’t come around too often and they were able to take full advantage of it thru some fancy schmoozing and networking. Also worth noting is this training wasn’t your typical city mandated regular training. These guys get together on their days off & seek ways to constantly improve themselves. They’re truly dedicated to their craft & we’re lucky to have folks like this looking out for us. Anywho, I digress. Enjoy the pics! :slight_smile:

Firefighter photo courtesy of Wake Forest Fire.

40 Likes

Makes sense…emojiiiiiiiiiiiiis

2 Likes

I think this will be much like the one in Charlotte.

https://rh.com/content/category.jsp?context=Charlotte

2 Likes

Whooo digity - did you look at the menu? Haha, doesn’t look like I’ll be doing more than having on $20 mimosa, lol.

3 Likes

Very classy looking, I’ll definitely we taking advantage of the wine and atmosphere.

1 Like

I’m sure the $30 lobster roll and $18 truffle fries will do well with Mason’s Lobster Rolls and Coquette within walking distance at half the price.

I mean I like fancy, expensive food, but that’s gonna be a hard sell for me to have a $100 meal at a furniture store!

Maybe if they handed out enough free champagne, I’d get drunk enough to buy their furniture, though.

7 Likes

Exactly my thoughts. I will pay big for a great meal, and I am sure RH’s food will be good, but not that good! lol

Looks like Apple will lease space in the MetLife complex in the Weston area of Cary until their development is complete.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/05/10/apple-eyes-cary-office-building-to-lease.html

9 Likes

That nearly assures that most of its hires will select Wake County if they buy homes.

5 Likes

Agreed. 10 mile radius would still get them into South Durham if they so choose.

Also 10 mile radius around their future campus.

6 Likes

Google’s office will be in downtown Durham (at Durham ID), but only temporarily until they find a permanent location, which makes me think they will probably eventually end up just moving to RTP as well.

I wonder why none of these companies want to be in or near downtown. Is it purely cost? Regional talent pool access? Is airport access actually a significant factor? Or maybe employees at these companies just prefer not to live/work downtown?

In 2030, will Pendo still be downtown or will they be in RTP?

3 Likes

I’d say a mix of all three but mostly the first one IMO. These tech companies seem to like sprawling campuses which would be tremendously expensive Downtown.
Also, the majority of people making 200k are going to want a suburban 500k+ house with a 1/4-1/2 acre plot of land too.

3 Likes

Thought I read that the Google Durham building would be similar to the one at Reston Station in No.Va.? So maybe the RTP Hub would be a comparable site? I think right now, they’re working on the infrastructure and site work for the phase 1 apartment buildings.

6 Likes

Yeah those Hub RTP towers seemed destined for Google imo. I think the lack of major transit investments (to date) hinders these companies’ desire for downtown locations. Except for Apple…I don’t think they have an urban campus anywhere in the U.S.

2 Likes

Hub RTP looks fantastic, except that it is in the wrong f*ing place

If it were next to the rail line (3/4 mile east) it would be revolutionary

10 Likes

No argument from me!

Park Point (the Nortel site where the new train/BRT stations will be) has lots of land allocated for future development, since their current project is just renovating existing buildings. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I wonder if Hub RTP could incentivize future phases of Park Point to be built taller and denser?

2 Likes

Can we agree these are not “high-rise” buildings?
:man_facepalming:t3:

9 Likes

Interesting. I know that building shall we say …very well. It’s brand new and very cool inside.

1 Like

Amazing views over the lake too. I love the shadow they cast over the lake in the evenings too. Very underrated lake, wish we could’ve had more usable development around it honestly!

1 Like