Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

In all honesty I think Ikea may be overrated. I’ve found Rooms To Go to be a somewhat alternative as far as actual furniture goes. Rooms 2 Go has some cheap furniture. There isn’t the extra smaller household items such as pans, art, etc but that can be found at Homegoods, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc.

When we stop at Ikea it’s only for Maribou chocolate. We stop by only if it’s not out of the way.

1 Like

You are 100% right, I think IKEA is good for smaller / cheaper pieces though and to explore burning some time without being heckled by pushy sales people.
I know I said it before but IKEA really missed out on not being in this market. They’d make a killing from the colleges.

6 Likes

IKEA is great for your college dorm room. Then the furniture falls apart by the time you’re ready to graduate. You go get that first adult pay check and you furnish your apartment with rooms to go. If you work hard enough and become that neurosurgeon you can go buy a couple $10,000 couches at Restoration Hardware.

3 Likes

I never bought Ikea until I had my own apartment and house, and I’ve never had anything fall apart. Some of my current stuff from there is over 15 years old. I like the look of many of their things and the price point, plus you don’t have to keep the same furniture forever when things need to be updated since it wasn’t that expensive to begin with. I’m angry to this day that we almost got one and then they just change their whole business model going forward. I thought Rooms to Go was basically like Rent A Center, but went in once anyways and didn’t see anything I liked. But there’s plenty of them around. Sigh… :crazy_face:

4 Likes

rooms to go is good for ideas, inspiration, and is reasonably priced more or less. The other places on Glenwood, especially Heavener across from Carmax (if it’s still operating) can be better priced because the salespeople are hustling on commission…But Heavener is also a little like going to Marshalls and TJ Maxx with a hodgepodge of random items they’ve acquired and are trying to unload. I’ve gotten some good deals at both. IKEA as a brand would have been a good win for the area, though. As it stands, it’ll be interesting to see what becomes of the Epic games HQ site, Fenton, etc. RH at North Hills is a good win for the development there.

1 Like

I thought this was going to be in the redeveloped part of NH? If not, where?

It’s going in the section where JCPenny’s is about to get torn down.

2 Likes

Any update as to the teardown date? I’d watch that…

Have y’all watched that video of Kane talking about how he’s been waiting to tear down JC Penny for almost 20 years :joy:

2 Likes

Lol I have not, but same goes for me. Even if I’ve only lived here 12…

There is a rumor around that JCPenny had a sweetheart lease deal on that store from when the mall was first built in the 60’s. As long as they renewed yearly by a certain date, they would keep the same terms. They essentially have been leasing that store with 1960’s rates. They kept it going until they randomly screwed up and missed the deadline a year or two back.

Not sure how much of that is true. but Kane didn’t waste time ‘kicking them out’ and plan for redevelopment.

2 Likes

didn’t someone post pics of construction barricades assembled next to JCP; looked imminent for something to happen?

2 Likes

This is essentially what happened. Mark it up to JCP’s error and them losing one of their most profitable stores.

1 Like

The back section of the parking deck is blocked off from the main section and large concrete grinders with conveyor belts showed up the other day staged ready for demo. I will try and get a picture on the way home from the office today.

2 Likes

We were by there yesterday and there’s heavy equipment being delivered and barriers. I expect we’ll see demo happening very soon. Much of the parking is going with JCP.

1 Like

10 Likes

'‘Corporate Gentrification’ :rofl:

4 Likes

Yep. JCP going down soon.

The interior of JC Penney is being gutted right now and then they will begin the abatement process on a few things inside the building. While that is going on they will start assembling protection for the neighboring buildings. You will see the parking deck start coming down first and then JC Penney will follow.

10 Likes

Goodbye, old North Hills Mall!

4 Likes