Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Not to distract from the downtown gateway conversation (though we have a thread for that), but TBJ put up an interesting article about UNC Health thinking of buying property for a new hospital in RTP!

EDIT: A new N&O article includes more details, including which parcel they’re looking at, as well as details on how Duke wants its own Certificate of Need to expand an existing facility nearby.

This means the hospital could be right across the street from Hub RTP and the Frontier, and probably right at a BRT stop (if the Cary-RTP extension happens)!

7 Likes

Man it looks like I’m in the downtown of a city… Or a midtown! :man_shrugging::man_facepalming:

24 Likes

Where’s the sky going? It’s disappearing lol.

7 Likes

Is that Rosewater’s bar?

Nope, CO actually under the AC Hotel.

2 Likes

Hoping they get something in where B Good, Piola, and World of Beer were.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO2st0JnWD0/?igshid=n0n5okwuuwpy :eyes:? Does anyone know more details about this??

3 Likes

This seems to be the zoning case they’re talking about. The city’s YouTube page has a recording of when the rezoning vote was taken.

The city’s public meeting portal has a pretty solid interface with a good search engine, if you ever need to search for these sorts of things again.

2 Likes

I don’t have IG. Is that renderings for the rezoning @keita shared?

No it’s just a post mentioning a new and pretty large mixed-use project planned near Wegmans in Raleigh. The zoning was changed to 20 stories for 1.5 million sq office space, 2000 apartments and 75,000 sq retail.

4 Likes

Ah gotcha. I need to take another look at the Midtown-St Albans plan but I hope there’s some gridding planned. Otherwise once NHID, Midtown Exchange, and this project are in place, Wake Forest Rd at the I-440 interchange is going to be a nightmare.
At least there can be a nice train station right next to the development one day.

2 Likes

I don’t think that meadow wood blvd - front st connection over to Atlantic, over or under the RR, is shown in any official plans, but I really like it.

There is definitely a planned Highwoods-Wolfpack grade separation though.

Bush Street is planned to have a bike/ped bridge I believe.

1 Like

Not sure about those specific connections you’ve drawn, but this is what is listed in the Raleigh Street Plan (dashed lines are future connections):

4 Likes

The spacing between crossings (of anything: Freeways, arterials, railroads, creeks…) is a huge deal, and doesn’t get as much play as it should. For an area that’s already as dense and busy as Midtown, that is only planned to become denser and busier, the current situation, with up to 1.25 miles (!) between the Wake Forest and Six Forks crossings of 440 is really unacceptable.

Half a mile between crossings is really the bare minimum that should ever be considered adequate, in my opinion.

My guide for distance between crossings:

<500ft: LOS A - ideal for highly pedestrian-focused areas

500ft to 750ft: LOS B - minimum standard for pedestrian focused areas

750ft to 1000ft: LOS C - recommended spacing for suburban arterials, especially in commercial/multifamily areas

1000ft to 1320ft (1/4 mile): LOS D - minimum standard for suburban arterials

1320ft (1/4 mi) to 2640ft (1/2 mile): LOS E - semi-rural areas, and also the minimum standard for railroads, creeks where grade separations are the only option, in suburban areas

>2640ft (1/2 mile): LOS F - Only in rural areas

7 Likes

Do you think that we need more crossings that also connect to the Beltline, or just more crossings like Atlantic that don’t?

3 Likes

I’d say crossings that just cross over / under and not intersect. The spacing of exits is already around a mile per exit on the Beltline which is plenty. Also FHWA doesn’t like to allow anything more than one exit per mile. Once you do, weaving / merging etc becomes a huge issue and you lose all flow and capacity benefits of having an interstate.

We definitely need some (at the very least) ped bridges over / under I-440 but also some more to the street grid so people only use Wake Forest and Six Forks if they need to access 440.

12 Likes

That’s what I was hoping to hear! Thanks.

4 Likes

@atl_transplant already said it - crossings without interchanges are what’s needed. To me the only spot in Raleigh proper that could be construed as a “missing” interchange is Jones Franklin at I-40. And that’s complicated by the 40/440 interchange so maybe we’re best off without it. @atl_transplant has suggested S Wilmington at I-40 as well, which is an interesting thought, but I have mixed feelings about that.

My specific guidelines for crossing spacing are meant to be for safe pedestrian crossings. Vehicular crossings can be further apart; I haven’t thought much about what the ideal spacing would be.

3 Likes

There’s so much uncertainty living in a suburban style neighborhood between downtown and midtown, especially by Wegmans and North Hills. I’d personally move into a condo nearby or larger home further away from the construction chaos. It’s only a matter of time before Midtown’s skyline connects to downtown.

1 Like

Upper parking lot at North Hills looks like it’s being shut down. I know the garage underneath had been closed for a bit.

11 Likes