Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

As a mid- to long-term investment, it’s ironclad. But as a place to live, certainly it’s in a transition period. For a lot of people, their home is the cornerstone of their investment portfolio - so those folks are left to decide whether the downsides in terms of disruption, are worth the upside in terms of appreciation that is bound to outpace the market as a whole.

3 Likes

Interesting! Looking at the area, I think you could do a half Diamond (East facing ramps only) and tie them into the reconstructed 40/440/1 interchange rather easily.

I think they’ve a new interchange planned for Centennial Campus too as like a Gateway into the campus where the golf course is now.

Yup, this deserves to be talked about so much more than it does. So many people are stuck by trains because they have to cross the tracks at illegal spots. All of these can severely hamper access to neighborhoods and more.
I really hope the city takes a good look at how to integrate these developments without 440 serving as a barrier and not just throw 2 new connections up and call it a day.

6 Likes

Re: RTP hospital, I guess I could understand the pitch if it were led by a clinical research center – but otherwise hospital beds are better off closer to houses than offices, and Hub RTP is still more office than residential. Plus, the market seems a bit saturated: the Brier Creek WakeMed ER is five miles away, Duke’s proposed Cary hospital is eight miles away, and Big Duke is also eight miles away. (Speaking of Duke, bold choice to buy land on the Durham side of RTP.)

Back in the 1980s, a new interchange was contemplated near Jones Franklin to funnel cars into Crossroads Plaza. The idea of a JF interchange to replace part of the Walnut Street interchange arose in 2015, when NCDOT sought to replace the 40/440 cloverleaf with a four-level stack and detangle some of the Walnut ramps, but by 2019 that was discarded due to cost. I don’t know if NCDOT ever considered moving the 440/JF interchange down to 40/JF.

3 Likes

I think there’s a big element of “skate to where the puck is going” here, since the CON is going to take years anyway. I’m not sure Duke’s W Cary hospital is a sure thing either

18 Likes

My company is expanding again, this time into actual RTP. Got to tour the building today, and it’s insane how much we’ve grown. Not anything earth shattering in terms of architecture, but amazing how much we’ve improved as a company over the last decade. Some of this was in the news over the past year, but I don’t want to publish details online. Not sure the rules on that.

A couple of publicly viewable spaces, and a reminder that RTP is going strong, especially with Hub RTP underway and BoxyardRTP close to opening!

31 Likes

I’m not sure Duke’s W Cary hospital is a sure thing either

It is. It’s in design, and the first MOB and parking garage are under construction.

5 Likes

Drove by it yesterday on my way back from camping at Jordan Lake. You’re in the country and then BAM Duke Health construction fencing. It was quite jarring.

Sprawl continues apace.

3 Likes

I grew up around the corner, and it’s always been a really abrupt transition… all of that was farm land on a two-lane road, but you’re only 3 minutes from the most desirable areas in Cary, and 10 minutes from RTP.

They actually have kind of ambitious plans for the area. The land surrounding the 540 interchange is envisioned as a signature destination center of dense walkable mixed use, 4-7 stories in height, and structured parking.

And as for Duke, which is taking up one of the four corners, their proposal includes residences and a hotel within a “healthy living” campus, rather than a traditional hospital.

8 Likes

Look at this blasphemy, I can’t hold my dinner :nauseated_face:.

3 Likes

This is off topic too but you can’t be an NCFC fan and Charlotte FC fan, it’s one of the other lol.

We need more boxyard styled retail developments in RTP because workers in the area should have multiple food options in multiple locations within RTP not just on the outskirts.

2 Likes

I disagree. Totally different leagues with different purposes. It’s like having a college team and a pro team in a sense.

Boxyard and whatever else they put in hub will do great when (if) the workforce returns fully

2 Likes

Charlotte shouldn’t even be in the professional league to begin with.

5 Likes

Yeah literally every major city in the US got some sort of tech sector job expansion. Nashville getting almost 10,000 Oracle jobs…Nash-Vegas the next Silicon Valley?

3 Likes

RTP is never going to be residential, so Whatever businesses will exist there are going to have to be able to support themselves off of lunch and perhaps happy hour crowd, (if lucky to get people to stay after work, For those who return to the office)

3 Likes

HubRTP contains a residential component, and the areas on the periphery of RTP, which are close to HubRTP (NC-54, Page Rd, etc.) all have a bunch of new apartments. Considering HubRTP isn’t going to be done for several years, there’s a decent possibility that RTP will have a good amount of residents to complement the restaurant/bar/retail components.

Virtually none of the people I work with under 35 live anywhere near downtown Raleigh or Durham. They all live in suburban apartment complexes. If they could live close to their work in RTP, and have some things to do nearby, I think many would.

5 Likes

I think you stated it better than I could.
At most it’s going to be peripheral.

Not going to ever have a downtown in RTP.
That’s not what the RTI, the gatekeepers of what’s developed there, want. They just want there to be a reason for people to come besides work.

Certainly I’ll give you that there are a handful of people who live in the actual RTP.

1 Like

Absolutely agree, a downtown in RTP is probably never going to happen, and that’s probably in everyone’s interest. I just wouldn’t mind a little more stuff to do since I have to work there! Lol. Not gonna be living in RTP unless I get a better tent!

3 Likes

Ah, yes, anecdotal evidence, the best kind

There are a ton of apartments / developments all around the perimeter of RTP, particularly around the Morrisville side. But not much inside. I have been working there for 7 years. Pre-covid, I remember places like Page Road Grill would be jam packed at lunch time, but deserted in the evenings. One time my brother and his wife were flying into RTP early evening. I figured I would have a beer or two at Page Road Grill for an hour or so, instead of driving to Raleigh, and then back again to pick them up. The place was basically deserted.

3 Likes