Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Looks like the Fenton announced a new tenant yesterday. I’ve never heard of Sports & Social before but they are an ‘upscale sports bar’ kind of place? Interesting tidbit I saw was they mention (potentially) an announcement on the Wegmans replacement might be coming?

12 Likes

Actually a pretty cool place. They have one outside the Braves stadium in Atlanta. Doesn’t seem like the type of place Cary would want though. Would have been perfect for Downtown South or even North Hills.

4 Likes

Man those Epic employees will have some nice post-work drink spots between this and Dram opening up over there.

10 Likes

Would love for Sports & Social to open a new location outside PNC Arena! I can see it doing well at Fenton, which will hopefully be North Hills, Cary.

4 Likes

Your post just reminded me that I meant to share this IG post yesterday that broke the news also (complete with additional pics):

7 Likes

Also, here’s a couple of new pics of The Walter shared by the construction company.

8 Likes

The mentioned that it’s going to be another grocer. I think that’s the first confirmation we have of that. I wish it was a new Whole Foods to replace the tiny old one on Wade Ave, but it’ll probably just be a Publix…

1 Like

I’ve never seen an oversized Publix tbh. They’re always right in line between 45-50k sq feet. Even when they’re in some of the most prominent developments in Atlanta they keep the same size. I believe the wegmans site is 120k.

Yeah but they could easily split up the space like they’re doing with Trader Joe’s in the old Earth Fare spot in Morrisville. Not saying that’s happening, but I wouldn’t be shocked. I remember Kane Realty talking about how particular Publix was with designing their space in Smoky Hollow. If something similar is playing out with Fenton, it would explain why they haven’t been able to officially announce anything for this long.

This, of course, is all complete conjecture…

1 Like

I really think the Fenton project has knocked it out of the park with all their retail tenants. I can see this place thriving with what they’ve brought to the table so far.

4 Likes

Replace? This is like 30min away hahaha. I live less than 5min from the Wade Ave Whole Foods, and don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon.

3 Likes

They’re both like 5 minutes from me. It would be equally convenient…for me. Just me. Lol!

Btw Google Maps says they’d only be 10 minutes apart.

I’m curious how this will compete with the D&B. Still wish they’d take up the old Sears space at Crabtree.

GOOD LUCK getting into Cary from Wade Ave in 10mins or less hahaha

2 Likes

Agreed I’m curious how D&B plans on surviving in their current space especially as the large demolition/construction of the Epic campus begins. Maybe they’re banking on some parents/kids coming over from that future Wake County indoor stadium thing that, as long as I remembered, heard was still happening? I remember it was going to be part of the Carolina Pines development but thought Epic was going to keep it too?

I might be wrong, but I think I heard that they were moving into the old Harris Teeter behind the former Dillards.

1 Like

I think you’re right, I did some digging and I found the old Carolina Yards (not Carolina Pines) layout. I am assuming this grey section with nothing in it was where the indoor stadium is/was going to be placed.

2 Likes

Correct, D&B is going to the old HT/Jumpstreet at 1111 Walnut St. From an old post in this thread back in March, and that specific exterior plan was approved in May.

I haven’t been able to find any sort of timing available for the move, but they’ve had a massive approved express review which might be all they need for demo/construction?

Cary still wants to build the Cary Community Recreation & Sports Center. The Town does own that corner parcel as of May 2021 (currently a gas station), but things have been put on hold due to COVID as well.

“Cary was awarded the funding in 2020 but due to COVID-19 the funding in the amount of $35 million grant has been delayed due to the impact COVID-19 has had on the funding source”

6 Likes

Look mom cool patios

21 Likes

Rode my bike through there earlier. Looks like they are actually topped out. I have noticed this building crop up in all kinds of views from various unexpected points around town.

10 Likes