Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

TBJ posted a slideshow with Fenton progress.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/16/sneak-peak-cary-fenton-development-progresses.html

19 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Possible New Development Locations and Projects

Fenton related announcement. Not sure if new but TBJ as this report from 17th. Possible replacement for lost grocery store?

Fenton in Cary is first NC location for upscale sports and entertainment venue.

“The venue will cover 22,000 square feet and include massive LED screens with viewing for multiple sporting events at one time. Food and beverages, live music and special events and interactive games and a large outdoor rooftop patio – unique to the Fenton location – will be available.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/08/17/sports-and-social-coming-to-fenton-in-cary.html

8 Likes

If like the Atlanta one, it’ll be more toward the center of the development with balconies and overlooks etc

1 Like

Based on the article, it won’t replace the grocery store (they’re still looking to add a grocery to replace Wegmans). So this would be separate thing, which as someone who lives ~1 mile away, I’m excited for!

They have a topping off ceremony (for the office and apartments, I think) today at Noon. So hopefully some more non-paywall photos to come!

1 Like

Just a wish, but the Triangle could use a replacement for the Southern Season store that closed in Chapel Hill. It would seem to me that Fenton would be a location for such a business.

6 Likes

Southern Season really was a destination retailer. The only 2 times I was ever in that mall parking lot was to go to SouSea. I agree, Fenton feels like it would be a good place for something similar.

1 Like

NC is about to legalize sports betting… I wonder if they would add a sports book?

3 Likes

This appears to be the final floor, the hidden balconies are a nice touch.

31 Likes

I dig that it doesn’t just have a flat top! However, until there’s an American flag on top, it’s not officially topped out! Any sign of one?

2 Likes

don’t forget the tree!

2 Likes

Road my bike down near the new vine apartments in NH earlier today. They are moving some dirt and had a big mobile crane setting some sort of huge precast culvert looking things. Not sure if they are getting ready to build the next phase or just doing some utility work.

2 Likes

Hey now we’re not even at Halloween yet, no need to rush Christmas!!!

That is the Channel House luxury apartments being built beside the Vine (innovation district phase 2)

Also, construction of tower 5 (17 floors?) will commence beside this active site by the end of the year.

13 Likes

A life sciences/office developer agreed to develop 220k sq.ft. in Hub RTP! This will be the tallest building in the Phase 1 buildout, and the last building where a developer hasn’t been named yet for this phase.

From the map on the RTF website:

EDIT: The N&O wrote about it, too, and noted that the developer is the same company behind some buildings in Durham’s Innovation District.

13 Likes

I love that their vertical progress so far is a new Wells Fargo branch to replace the original one, which is getting demolished…

http://webcampub.multivista.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=aPublicWebcam.page&WebcamPublicPageUID=F9FCDA4C-651A-4489-8BAE-EB1FC5B7AAD3

Just thinking about this site gets me nostalgic.
Oh the hours of my youth spent at the old Triangle Transit hub that used to be there. Riding back from Chapel Hill to Raleigh hung over from Halloween; transferring to the shuttle to go to my first job interview in RTP…

It actually functioned better as a transit center than the current RTC since it’s so easy to reach it from I-40. They relocated back in like 2007 so that this area could redevelop. They would have been better off sticking around until now when the redevelopment actually seems to be moving forward.

1 Like

Trees on top of completed towers are not just a Christmastime thing, though during the holidays, they are often lighted for the season.

2 Likes

Well that I never knew! During Sept-Oct, they should put a dead tree up top for Halloween then.

2 Likes

“ Riding back from Chapel Hill to Raleigh hung over from Halloween; transferring to the shuttle to go to my first job interview in RTP”

One in the same, or different times? Enquiring minds want to know.

8 Likes