Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

The tunnel could be called the Kane Konnector.

Ok, I’ll go back to my webinar.

6 Likes

Reminds me… why/how has he not named any of the little side-streets in N. Hills “Kane Lane” yet??

2 Likes

It sure sounds like you are making a case for an alternate transit solution to be seriously studied.

I think they’ve already studied it to death. Needs to be implemented at this point.

10 Likes

The school system is having to work on driving/carpool fixes because they can’t find enough bus drivers.

Yeah - there is a 6-forks master plan that actually addresses specifically some of the issues around Carrol Middle school. But it’s been about 2-3 years since with no real movement to actually implement it.

And a similar one is underway I believe for Capital.

Ironically… my wife has applied to drive buses with WCPSS to supplement her other part time job. She drove for Blacksburg Transit when she lived in (ironically) Blacksburg, VA :stuck_out_tongue: . It has been several weeks including talking to a friend of ours who also drives buses for WCPSS, and they have yet to call/email/contact her. But they are still saying they don’t have enough drivers. WTH? I’m telling y’all… WCPSS is too big for its own good.

5 Likes

They released the proposed design and I’m pretty sure this is about to get kicked off: www.raleighnc.gov/projects/six-forks-road-improvements

2 Likes

It’s always baffled me that the entire county falls under one school administration. The county I grew up in (in Southern Maine) has less than a fifth of the population of Wake County but has seventeen school districts. I feel like the structure here stretches itself too thin.

3 Likes

For Rowan to Lynn. Basically 3 lanes each way with a median. And then an off-road ‘bike way’ and a separate sidewalk.

1 Like

That sounds like a job that one can pick up in retirement. :wink:

1 Like

It didn’t always use to be that way. My mom is a retired WCPSS teacher/administrator and when she first started teaching out in Fuquay-Varina in the 1970s they were distinct separate entities (Wake County Schools vs City of Raleigh schools). If my NC history is accurate, it took an act of the legislature to bring them together.

@Nickster There was a lady at a recent Apex town council meeting complaining against an upcoming neighborhood development over here in Apex on the grounds of not enough bus drivers for the schools. The lady lived near Green Level area of Cary/Apex and the proposed development is near Apex Friendship. She said her kid has been assigned to West Cary Middle School off Maynard in Cary. I was surprised, based on your earlier comment, that she somehow gets bus service when it sounds like your kid is way closer to their alternate school than this one.

There’s an argument to made in the other direction about pooling resources and buying power, and enabling things like specialized magnet schools - hopefully taking advantage of being in a large city.

I have no idea which direction is “right,” or even if there is a correct choice.

3 Likes

I guess it’s just foreign to me more than anything.

What I do know is that the current bus situation (which I admittedly do not fully understand seeing as I don’t have kids) seems to have more kids getting driven to school than ever before, which seems… bad.

This is waaay out in NE Raleigh outside 540, but if it can happen there, it definitely can happen on Six Forks. Article is short on details

3 Likes

There are some socio-economic factors at play (IMO) about how they drew the lines for the new school. They came down Creedmoor Rd to catch all the apartment complexes and our townhouses into the district for the new school while all the rest of Greystone is still assigned to the older (closer) school. The new school is surrounded by very affluent neighborhoods and is seems as though they wanted to capture lower income folks in the area to go to the new school further away from where they live than the older school. Our TH neighborhood is primarily retirees/empty nesters so school assignments don’t matter to them, but us being one of two families on the street with school aged kids, got reassigned.

I remember when I went to East Millbrook middle and hearing about one of the crossing guards getting hit. She survived, but many students crossed Spring Forest to go to school there. I am surprised it hadn’t happened more frequently looking back at it

Sorry to derail this thread @dtraleigh … Now Back to North Hills etc.

Thanks Mike.
Nice… so we’re adding lanes and volume capacity and slamming all that right into the problem area we’ve been discussing… Cool.
The flipside, is funneling more traffic north to 540 for greater connections throughout the Triangle, but that really doesn’t help for folks heading into Raleigh, or to nearby locations like Crabtree or DT Cary.

It really does go back to Phil’s point that our N-S boulevards are all kind of critical car sewers. Seems to me, especially given the southern terminus of the road, we should road diet Six Forks and instead do the 3 lanes in each direction + median on WF road. This is the “pick your winners” design principle.

Make Six Forks a Street and lay TOD zoning over the whole corridor, and upgrade WF road and Capital for better commuting trips. Either way, it’s a nasty battle against 60 years of poor land use planning.

4 Likes

I think if you upgrade Capital you could realistically diet Six Forks AND Wake Forest into slow urban Boulevards.

3 Likes