Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

I know most people don’t care, but another 2 story all electric go-kart track opens this Thursday in Greensboro from the guys at Partee Shack Raleigh. The other 2 story track near RDU is always super busy and the only time I’ve found that isn’t busy is waiting in the parking lot for them to open on Sundays at 1pm.

And soon within the year, Andretti racing will open a 3 story track that looks like something out of Mario Kart, somewhere near RTP.

19 Likes

It is supposed to be by the new Top Golf.

3 Likes

Yea, same complex. 4901 Page Road to be exact. Also the picture I posted of the Andretti track won’t be the actual design. Each track is noticebaly different from the next, I was just told by the owner of Rush Hour it will be 3 story. Some of the current designs around the country are wild, so I can’t wait to see the final design.

New Jersey:

Georgia:

Texas:

Massachusetts:

18 Likes

The Westin in Brier Creek is open. Some info about their ground floor restaurant. No mention of whether the hotel bar is the rooftop space. Gonna have to check that out someday.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/

Some edited highlights below:

The restaurant’s name, Il Falò, means “bonfire” in Italian, and a stone hearth wood-fired pizza oven is the kitchen’s crown jewel.

5,000-square-foot space with a dining room featuring communal tables, an outdoor patio and a six-seat chef’s table next to the open kitchen.

Menu items include carciofi, dry-aged pork chop with fennel pollen, bistecca pizza with angus strip steak, pappardelle with whipped sheep’s milk ricotta and sweet and sour cherry peppers and crisped potatoes.

The restaurant and hotel bar also offer a list of Italian-inspired craft cocktails, a Mediterranean-centric wine list, and craft beers.

They brought in James Beard award-winning chef Bradford Thompson to help build out the restaurant.

The upscale restaurant serves wood-fired Italian dishes. Breakfast and dinner seven days a week. Lunch and weekend brunch will be added at a later date.

11 Likes

Sounds fancy as hell… just so f**king bizarre this is in BRIER CREEK lmao

6 Likes

By the airport and RTP. Consultants/executives fly in, stack Starwood points, get dinner on the corporate card, fly out.

10 Likes

Yeah I mean Brier Creek is a great location if you’re basically flying in for a few days and working in RTP area. There’s a lot of places to eat and drink, a movie theater, stores, hotels, etc. and it’s convenient to the airport and RTP. It’s why I lived there when I first moved to the area. But there’s not a ton of luxury restaurants to take people out to, unless you go all the way to Heron’s. I could see this filling a niche. Now as someone who lives here, the only reason I go to Brier Creek is usually to go to my dentist. But I’d still check this restaurant out someday, maybe for lunch if I’m at work.

6 Likes

I worked in Brier Creek for 10 years commuting from DTR. Convenient area with everything you need close by but boy that atrocious 70 crossing and car dependency :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This place sounds like a near copy of the Westin Dulles. This must jus be something they do, upscale business hotels near major airports.

Don’t think that anybody has posted this yet. Flyover North Hills.

22 Likes

Huge parking deck at 1000 Social!

2 Likes

Retail Brochure: https://theexchangeraleigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Retail_The-Exchange-Raleigh.pdf

The Exchange Raleigh has the potential to be a really nice development. And the 1000 Social office building construction is coming along nicely.
IMG_0578
IMG_0579
IMG_0583
IMG_0585
IMG_0586

Office Brochure: https://theexchangeraleigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/DWCar_230419_1000Social_DBrochure.pdf

18 Likes

First of all, thanks for sharing the video!
That said, for me, the drone video actually makes it look smaller than it is.

2 Likes

It’s not lost on me that they dedicate two pages of the brochure to vehicular access and parking right before their one page about walkability.

8 Likes

Looks at the pictures and overhead shots - where would you walk there from? It’s convenient to drive to, but surrounded by parking lots, a highway, and low-density housing. It’s the Achilles heel for North Hills feeling like a real neighborhood.

6 Likes

Pretty cool…for a mall.

1 Like

I said that it wasn’t lost on me. I’ve said all along that the entire Midtown from North Hills (west) to the Exchange is essentially walkability that you drive to.

1 Like

I don’t blame this on North Hills in particular but more on the city. Increase the surrounding zoning density and I’m sure the area would be more walkable. It’s also the city who’s looking to turn Six Forks Rd into 6 lanes north of North Hills this making it less pedestrian friendly (although the plans do call for separated bike lanes and sidewalks). Not completely hating on the city council because they’ve also done a lot (although from the previous council).

I would like to see increased biking facilities in the area. I feel decently comfortable riding in the area, but can see how a lot of people wouldn’t feel comfortable (and I wouldn’t blame them). Either some sort of pedestrian/biking bridge, tunnel, or a reconfiguration Dartmouth Rd/Main Street to allow for bike lanes on both sides of the street.

Editing to add. So far the missing middle text change being in place does show the city is at least trying. I think there was also discussion about increasing density in high frequency bus routes. There’s a proposed high frequency bus between North Hills and Crabtree and east of North Hills. So this might help the area. It’s just going to take time.

3 Likes

27 Likes

Nice drone video I saw of The Exchange. It’s really taking its shape, I honestly hadn’t been to that area in a bit and was surprised how much of the first building is standing in this video.

15 Likes